Sung-Ryul Kim is a scientist at IRRI’s Plant Breeding Division. His expertise is plant molecular biology/genetics. He is currently focusing on isolating valuable agronomic traits from the wild rice species, which are regarded as a reservoir of untapped genetic resources of high economic value. The final goal of this project is the identification of the genes that regulate target traits to improve current elite rice varieties.
- Plant molecular genetics
- Development of molecular markers
- Marker-assisted rice breeding
- Rice functional genomics
- Plant molecular biology
- Rice transformation
- PhD in Plant Functional Genomics, Division of Molecular and Life Science, POSTECH, Korea (2009)
- MSc in Plant Breeding, Andong National University, Korea (2002)
- BSc in Horticulture and Breeding, Andong National University, Korea (2000)
- Scientist I (Isolation of the novel traits/genes from the wild rice species), Plant and Breeding Division, IRRI (Mar 2016-present)
- Post Doctoral Fellow (Improvement of genetic yield potential of indica rice varieties), Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI (Jan 2013-Feb 2016)
- Post Doctoral Fellow and Research Professor (Rice Functional Genomics), Kyung Hee University, Korea (Mar 2010-Dec 2012)
- Post Doctoral Fellow (Rice Functional Genomics), POSTECH, Korea (Sep 2009-Feb 2010)
- Future Plant Scientist Award: The Botanical Society of Korea (Nov, 2011)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Ji H *, Kim SR *, Kim YH, Suh JP, Park HM, Sreenivasulu N, Misra G, Kim SM, Hechanova SL, Kim H, Lee GS, Yoon UH, Kim TH, Lim H, Suh SC, Yang J, An G and Jena KK. (2016) Map-based cloning and characterization of the BPH18 gene from wild rice conferring resistance to brown planthopper (BPH) insect pest. Scientific Reports 6:34376
- Ramkumar G, Prahalada GD, Hechanova SL, Kim SR, Jena KK. (2016) Exploring genetic diversity of rice cultivars for the presence of brown planthopper (BPH) resistance genes and development of SNP marker for Bph18. Plant Breeding 135: 301-308
- Kim SR, Yang J, An G, Jena KK. (2016) A simple DNA preparation method for high quality polymerase chain reaction in rice. Plant Breed. Biotech. 4:99-106.
- Kim SR, Ramos J, Ashikari M, Virk PS, Torres EA, Nissila E, Hechanova SL, Mauleon R, Jena KK (2016) Development and validation of allele-specific SNP/indel markers for eight yield-enhancing genes using whole-genome sequencing strategy to increase yield potential of rice, Oryza sativa L. Rice 9:12
- Yang J*, Kim SR*, Lee SK, Choi H, Jeon JS and An G. (2015) Alanine aminotransferase 1 (OsAlaAT1) plays an essential role in the regulation of starch storage in rice endosperm. Plant Sci. 240, 79-89.
- Jung KH*, Kim SR*, Giong HK, Nguyen MX, Koh HJ and An G. (2015) Genome-wide identification and functional analysis of genes expressed ubiquitously in rice. Molecular Plant 8, 276-289.
- Choi SC, Lee S, Kim SR, Lee YS, Liu C, Cao X and An G. (2014) Trithorax group protein Oryza sativa Trithorax1 controls flowering time in rice via interaction with early heading date3. Plant Physiol. 164, 1326-1337.
- Jung KH, Gho HJ, Nguyen MX, Kim SR and An G. (2013) Genome-wide expression analysis of HSP70 family genes in rice and identification of a cytosolic HSP70 gene highly induced under heat stress. Funct Integr Genomics 13, 391-402.
- Kim SR, Yang JI and An G. (2013) OsCpn60α1 encoding plastid chaperonin 60α subunit is essential for folding of rbcL. Mol Cells 35, 402-409. Bartley LE, Peck ML, Kim SR, Ebert B, Manisseri C, Chiniquy DM, Sykes R, Gao L, Rautengarten C, Vega-Sánchez ME, Benke PI, Canlas PE, Cao P, Brewer S,
- Lin F, Smith WL, Zhang X, Keasling JD, Jentoff RE, Foster SB, Zhou J, Ziebell A, An G, Scheller HV and Ronald PC. (2013) Overexpression of a BAHD acyltransferase, OsAt10, alters rice cell wall hydroxycinnamic acid content and saccharification. Plant Physiol. 161, 1615-1633.
- Kim SR and An G. (2013) Rice chloroplast-localized heat shock protein 70, OsHsp70CP1, is essential for chloroplast development under high-temperature conditions. J. Plant Physiol. 170, 854-863.
- Moon S, Kim SR, Zhao G, Yi J, Yoo Y, Jin P, Lee SW, Jung KH, Zhang D and An G. (2013) Rice glycosyltransferase1 encodes a glycosyltransferase essential for pollen wall formation. Plant Physiol. 161, 663-675.
- Yang J, Lee S, Hang R, Kim SR, Lee YS, Cao X, Amasino R and An G. (2013) OsVIL2 functions with PRC2 to induce flowering by repressing OsLFL1 in rice. Plant J. 73, 566-578.
Dr. Sung-Ryul Kim
Scientist I (Molecular Genetics), Plant Breeding Division
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600