Sudhanshu is a field Agronomist with substantial understanding of crop management and developmental needs of rainfed lands. Presently, he is working as a scientist in International Rice Research Institute in New Delhi, India.
He coordinates research and extension activities in stress-prone rainfed lowlands, conducting research on nutrient and crop management in rainfed lowland environments of South Asia, focusing on management options for drought, submergence, and salt-affected areas and development of appropriate farmer-centered seed multiplication and delivery systems and appropriate system-based models to enhance farmers’ income under rainfed lowland environments.
He is also deeply involved in seed/technology dissemination and business model development being undertaken through EC-IFAD and STRASA projects in South Asia, the NFSM-IRRI project in India, the IRRAS project in Bihar, and the USAID CSISA-Bangladesh Seed Project, among others. Under the IRRAS project, packages of practices for agronomic technologies for submergence and drought-prone ecosystems to improve the productivity of rainfed, rice-based agriculture in Bihar is being developed.
- Crop and natural resource management
- Management in rainfed lowland rice environment
- Management of abiotic stresses and stress tolerant varieties
- Agriculture Extension
- Seed production, dissemination and seed systems
- Post Graduate Diploma in Agriculture Extension Management (PGDAEM), MANAGE, Hyderabad (2010)
- PhD (Agronomy)
Thesis topic of PhD: Physiological understanding of the mode of action of Sub1 gene in submergence tolerance of lowland rice.
Research work was conducted at International Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines during 2005-08 and degree was awarded by B.V.S. Poorvanchal Univ. Jaunpur, U.P in 2009.
- M.Sc. (Ag.) (Agronomy), NDUAT, Faizabad (1991)
Thesis topic of M.Sc. (Ag.): Effect of row spacing and seed rate on growth, yield and quality of summer Black Gram (Vigna mungo L. Hepper).
- B.Sc. (Ag.), NDUAT, Faizabad (1989)
- Intermediate (Science) (P.C.M.), U.P. Board, Allahabad (1986)
- Higher Secondary (Science), M.P. Board, Bhopal (1984)
- Scientist 1, Rainfed Lowland Agronomist, South Asia; IRRI, New Delhi, India (April 2013-Present)
- Post-doctoral Fellow with International Rice Research Institute, Philippines (2011-2013)
- Deputy Director Agriculture (Extension) and OIC (OTMA), Jaipur, Rajasthan (2008-2011)
- PhD Research Scholar at International Rice Research Institute, Philippines (2005-2008)
- Assistant Director Agriculture (Extension) Jaipur, Rajasthan (2001-2005)
- Development Officer Laxamangarh, Alwar, Rajasthan (1998-2001)
- Plant Manager, Rajasthan State Seeds Corporation Pvt Ltd, Alwar, Rajathan (1995-1998)
- Agriculture Officer, Sagwara, Dungarpur, Rajasthan (1994-1995)
- University Gold Medal in B.Sc. (Ag.)
- Chancellor Gold Medal for standing first in M.Sc. (Ag.) in the University (Univ. Topper)
- K.K. Memorial Gold Medal for getting first position in M.Sc. (Ag.) in Department of Agronomy (Department Topper)
- Was honored to be a part of a five members’ team of officers of Rajasthan State Seeds Corporation Ltd. which received the “National Productivity Award” given to RSSC Ltd by then Prime Minister of India, Sri H.D. Deve Gowda at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi (1996)
- Best Plant Manager of Seeds Corporation Award by RSSC Ltd, Jaipur, Rajasthan (1996)
- “Certificate of Honor” awarded by Rajasthan government twice for outstanding performance of duties (15th August 1999 and 26th January 2000)
- Selected as a National Facilitator by MANAGE, Hyderabad to conduct trainings on government schemes across India
SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS
- N. W. Zaidi, M. H. Dar, S. Singh and U.S. Singh. Trichoderma for the management of abiotic stresses in plants. In: TRICHODERMA, THEIR USES AND APPLICATION IN BIOENGINEERING AND BIOTECHNOLOGY (VK Gupta, M. Schmoll, a. Herrera-Esterella, I Druzhinina, RS Upadhyay and M. Tuohy Eds) Elsevier, The Netherlands.
Research papers / articles
- Bhowmick M.K., Dhara M.C., Singh S., Dar M.H., and Singh U.S. 2014. Improved Management Options for Submergence-Tolerant (Sub1) Rice Genotype in Flood-Prone Rainfed Lowlands of West Bengal. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 2014, 5, 7-13, January 2014 (http://www.scirp.org/journal/ajps)
- Khan A.H., Singh A.K., Mubeen, Singh S., Zaidi N.W., Singh U.S., and Haefele S.M. 2014. Response of Salt-Tolerant Rice Varieties to Biocompost Application in Sodic Soil of Eastern Uttar Pradesh. American Journal of Plant Sciences, 2014, 5, 7-13, January 2014 (http://www.scirp.org/journal/ajps)
- Singh U.S., Dar M.H., Singh S., Ismail A.M. 2013. Transforming rice production in flood-affected areas: development of the swarna-Sub1 variety using marker-assisted backcrossing and its deployment in India. In: Ghosh K, Mba C (Eds). Case Studies of use of Agricultural Biotechnologies in Developing Countries. FAO Rome, pp 63-70
- Ismail A.M., Singh U.S., Singh S., Dar M.H., and Mackill D.J. 2013. The contribution of submergence-tolerant (Sub1) rice varieties to food security in flood-prone rainfed lowland areas in Asia. Field Crops Research, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.fcr.2013.01.007
- Singh S., Singh JP, Tiwari S, Singh US. 2013. Two years of battling submergence and salinity stresses in South Asia. CURE Matters, 3(1): 14-15.
- Singh US, Dar MH, Singh S, Zaidi NW, Bari MA, Mackill DJ, Collard BCY, Singh VN, Singh J.P., Reddy JN, Singh RK, Ismail A.M. 2013. Field performance, dissemination, tracking and impact of submergence-tolerant (Sub1) rice varieties in South Asia. SABRAO 45 (1): 112-131.
- Dar, M.H., Singh, S., Zaidi, N. W. and Shukla, S. 2012. Sahbhagi Dhan: Answer to many questions. STRASA News Letter. Vol.5 Nos. 3-4, August-December 2012.
- Singh S. and Haefele S.M. 2012. Submergence and salinity: battling a lethal combination. CURE Matters. Vol. 2, No.1, April 2012, pp. 20-21.
- Singh S., Mackill D.J., and Ismail A.M. 2011. Tolerance of longer-term partial stagnant flooding is independent of the SUB1 locus in rice. Field Crops Research, vol. 121, pp. 311-323
- Singh S., Mackill D.J., and Ismail A.M. 2009. Responses of SUB1 rice introgression lines to submergence in the field: Yield and grain quality. Field Crops Research, vol. 113, 1, pp. 12-23.
- Pamplona A., Ella E., Singh S., Vergara G.V., Ismail A., and Mackill D.J. 2007. Screening procedures for tolerance of complete submergence. Sub1 Rice News, IRRI, Vol. 1, No. 2, Special issue- December 2007.
- Singh M. and Singh S. 1995. Sodicity induced changes in saccharides, free proline and protein content of different pea genotypes. Indian J. Plant Physiol., 38 (2), 109-113.
- Singh M. and Singh, S. 1994. Effect of different levels of sodicity on net assimilation rate, relative growth rate, leaf area and yield of pea genotypes. Biol. Plant., 36 (1), 145-148.
- Singh S., Yadav D.S. and Singh S.K. 1994. Response of summer black gram (Phaseolus mungo) to row spacing and seed rate. Indian J. Agron., 39 (2): 314-315.
- Singh S.K., Singh R., Singh S. 1994. Yield and yield attributes of green gram (Phaseolus radiatus) in response to sulphur levels. Indian J. Agric. Sci. 64 (6), 390-391.
- Singh S., Yadav D.S. and Singh M. 1992. Effect of row spacing and seed rate on nutrient uptake and grain protein of Urd bean. N.D. J. Agric. Res. 7, 127-130.
- Chandra S., Varshney M.L., Singh J., Singh S. 1992. Effect of nitrogen on growth of wheat varieties. N.D. Agric. Res. 7, 205-207.
Papers presented in Conferences and Symposia
- Maji B., Sarangi S.K., Bandyopadhyay B.K., Burman D., Mandal S., Singh S., Haefele, S.M. and Sharma D.K. Improved nursery management to enhance the productivity of rice in coastal salt affected soils during Kharif season. Paper accepted in the ARRW GOLDEN JUBILEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on "Sustainable Rice Production and Livelihood Security: Challenges and Opportunities" to be held during March 02-05, 2013, Cuttack (Odisha), India.
- Sarangi S.K., Maji B., Bandyopadhyay B.K., Burman D., Mandal S., Singh S., Haefele, S.M., and Sharma, D.K. Improved crop establishment and nutrient management practices for Rabi rice in coastal salt affected soils for raising productivity. Paper accepted in the ARRW GOLDEN JUBILEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM on "Sustainable Rice Production and Livelihood Security: Challenges and Opportunities" to be held during March 02-05, 2013, Cuttack (Odisha), India.
- Singh S., Singh U.P., Kumar Ravi H.S., Singh Y., Sutaliya J.M., Singh U.S. and Haefele S.M. 2012. Sub1 rice near isogenic lines outperform their recurrent parents in terms of survival and yield even under very short term of complete submergence. Paper presented at Third International Agronomy Congress, New Delhi, India, November 26-30, 2012 (Abstracts pp. 1212-1213).
- Kumar Ravi H.S., Singh U.P., Singh S., Singh Y., Sutaliya J.M., Singh U.S. and Haefele S.M. 2012. Improved nursery management options for submergence tolerant (Sub1) rice genotypes in flood -prone environments. Paper presented at Third International Agronomy Congress, New Delhi, India, November 26-30, 2012 (Abstracts pp. 1248-1250)
- Sanchej D.L., Pamplona A.M., Septingsih E.M., Maghirang-Rodriguez R., Neeraja C., Iftekharuddaula K.M, Singh S., Vergara G.V., Heuer S., Ismail A.M., Mackill D.J. 2008. Conversion of rice mega varieties to submergence-tolerant rice lines with the Sub1 locus. Poster presented during the 38th Crop Science Society of the Philippines (CSSP) Annual Conference in Iloilo City, Philippines, held on 12-16 May 2008.
- Septiningsih E.M., Pamplona A.M., Sanchez D.L., Iftekharuddaula K.M., Masuduzzaman A.S.M., Vergara G.V., Singh S., Dang T.T.M., Maghirang R., Neeraja C.N., Heuer S., Ismail A.M., Mackill D.J. 2008. The Sub1 gene and its implications in developing submergence-tolerant rice cultivars. Paper presented at 5th International Crop Science Congress & Exhibition. Jeju, Korea, April 13-18, 2008 (Abstracts pp. 179-180).
- Singh S., Vergara G.V., Sharma H.P., Mackill D.J., Ismail A.M. 2008. Prolonged partial stagnant flooding and its effect on rice genotypes contrasting in submergence tolerance”. Poster presented at the 5th Conference of the International Society for Plant Anaerobiosis held at Jeju, Korea from April 13th to 18th 2008. Abstract p. 191.
- Singh S., Vergara G.V., Ismail A.M., Sharma H.P., Pamplona A.M., Mackill D.J. 2007. Field performance of rice Sub1 introgression lines under normal and flooded conditions. Poster presented at the 9th Conference of the International Society for Plant Anaerobiosis” held at Sendai, Japan from November 18th to 23th 2007, Abstract p. 87.
- Sanchej D.L., Pamplona A.M., Maghirang-Rodriguez R., Septingsih E.M., Singh S., Ismail A.M., Mackill D.J.. 2007. Introgression of submergence tolerance QTL (Sub1) into IR64. Poster presented at the 19th Scientific Conference, Federation of Crop Science Societies of the Philippines, Development Academy of the Philippines (DAP), Tagaytay City, Philippines, 13-15 June 2007. The Philippine journal of crop science, Vol 32, Suppl. 1 (June 2007) p. 100.
- Singh S., Mackill D.J., Ismail A.M. 2006. Field performance of Swarna-Sub1 introgression line under normal and submerged conditions. In: Abstracts of 2nd International Rice congress, held in New Delhi from Oct 8th to Oct 13th, 2006, p. 237.
Dr. Sudhanshu Singh
Rainfed Lowland Agronomist, South Asia
9th Floor, Agarwal Corporate Tower
New Delhi, 110 008
+91-11-66219300 or 66219297
Media release and news items
- Raebareli District Rep, Sonia Gandhi notes IRRI efforts on stress-prone areas of eastern India
- Mapping and GIS capacity strengthened to aid spread of stress-tolerant rice
- India: National Advisory Council Chair Gandhi notes IRRI’s work in stress-prone areas
- Nepal recognizes three IRRI scientists
- Expanding research and building partnerships in India and Nepal
- India makes access to food a right, not a privilege