Subir works as a foresight modeler and strategic assessment specialist at IRRI’s Social Sciences Division. He contributes to activities related to research priority setting and ex-ante assessment of new rice technologies. His main responsibilities include managing and updating the partial equilibrium global rice supply and demand model. He also works closely with the multidisciplinary modeling team in developing an integrated modeling platform by linking an economic model with a crop growth model.
- Productivity analysis: how to measure it, how it happens, and who benefits from it. A part of this story is technology assessment (ex-ante and ex-post).
- Agricultural policy and trade policy analysis
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), USA, 2015
- MS in Agricultural Economics, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), Nebraska, USA, 2012
- PGDip in Trade Policy and Commercial Diplomacy, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, 2008
- BSc and MSc in Agricultural Economics, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, Bangladesh, 2002 and 2005, respectively
- Postdoctoral Fellow, International Rice Research Institute (IRRI), Los Baños, Philippines (February 2016 – present)
- Research Fellow, Center for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Dhaka, Bangladesh (September 2015– January 2016)
- Research Associate, Centre for Policy Dialogue (CPD), Dhaka, Bangladesh (2007-2010)
- Graduate Research Assistantship, University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL), USA, 2012-2015
- Fulbright Scholarship, US Department of State, 2010-2012
- University Prize and Professor M. Lutfur Rahman Memorial Prize, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh, 2001
- Samsul Islam Memorial Gold Medal, BAU, Mymensingh, 2001
- Bangladesh Economics Association (BEA): Lifetime
- American Economic Association (AEA): 2014-2017
- Agricultural & Applied Economics Association (AAEA): 2013-2016
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (SELECT)
- Bairagi S, Perrin R, Fulginiti L. 2016. Economic Feasibility of High Omega-3 Soybean Oil in Maricullture Diets: A Sustainable Replacement for Fish Oil. Aquaculture Econ. Manage. first published on line: October 7, 2016, doi.org/10.1080/13657305.2016.1228711.
- Bairagi S, Shadat WB. 2016. Cost-Benefit Analysis of Traditional Versus Flexible Microfinance in Bangladesh. Bangladesh Priorities, Working Paper, Copenhagen Consensus Center and BRAC, Dhaka.
- Bairagi S, Azzam A. 2014. Does the Grameen Bank Exert Market Power over Borrowers? Appl. Econ. Lett. 21(12):866-869.
- Bairagi S, Deb U. 2014. Impact of Cash Incentives Program on Export of Shrimp and Vegetables, Farm Level Income and Employment. Bus. Rev. 3(1& 2):63-76.
- Bairagi, S., Mohanty, S. (2017). Compliance costs for regulatory approval of C4 rice. AgBioForum (forthcoming).
- Bairagi, S. (2017). Costs and benefits of investment in agricultural research and development (R&D) in Haiti. Haiti Priorise, Working Paper, Copenhagen Consensus Center.
Postdoctoral Fellow—Foresight Modeling and Strategic Assessment
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna