Russell is a rice breeder with significant experience developing varieties for the NSW Rice Industry in the Riverina region of south-west NSW and northern Victoria. He has a particular interest in developing highly productive varieties while matching grain quality to market requirements.
Russell spent three years as IRRI's representative in South Korea, conducting breeding related research focused on developing varieties suitable for temperate rice production environments, specifically to discover and characterize new genes and QTLs for agronomic traits, grain quality, disease and insect resistance, and cold tolerance in japonica and indica backgrounds. During this time he also coordinated the activities of the Temperate Rice Research Consortium.
- Rice breeding
- Rice grain quality
- Crop physiology
- PhD in Plant Science, Australian National University, Australia (2001)
- MAgrSc in Crop Science, University of Melbourne, Australia (1994)
- BAgrSc in Plant Breeding, University of Queensland, Australia (1982)
- IRRI Korea Representative and TRRC Coordinator (2012-2014)
- Research Agronomist (Rice Breeding), Yanco Agricultural Institute, Yanco NSW 2703, Australia (1986-2011)
- Technical Officer (Rice Breeding) Irrigation Research and Extension Committee, Yanco Agricultural Institute, Yanco NSW 2703, Australia (1983-1986)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Champagne E T, Bett-Garber K L, Fitzgerald M A, Thomson J A, Grimm, C, Lea J, Ohtsubo K, Jongdee S, Xie L, Bassinello P Z, Resurreccion A, Ahmad R, Habibi F, and Reinke R F., (2010) Important Sensory Properties Differentiating Premium Rice Varieties. Rice 3(4) 270-281
- Cuevas RP, Daygon VD, Corpuz HM, Nora L, Reinke RF, Waters DLE, Fitzgerald MA (2010) Melting the secrets of gelatinisation temperature in rice. Functional Plant Biology 37, 439-447.
- Fitzgerald, M.A., C.J. Bergman, A.P. Resurreccion, J. Moller, R. Jimenez, R.F. Reinke, M. Martin, P. Blanco, F. Molina, M.H. Chen, V. Kuri, M.V. Romero, F. Habibi, T. Umemoto, S. Jongde, E. Graterol, K.R. Reddy, P.Z. Bassinello, R. Sivakami, N.S. Rani, S. Das, Y.J. Wang, S.D. Indrasari, A. Ramli, and R. Ahmad. (2009). Addressing the Dilemmas of Measuring Amylose in Rice. Cereal Chemistry 86:492-498.
- Garland S, Lewin L, Blakeney A, Reinke RF, and Henry R. (2000) PCR-based molecular markers for the fragrance gene in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theoretical & Applied Genetics 101, 364-371.
- Kim, S.-M., J.-P. Suh, Y. Qin, T. Noh, R.F. Reinke, and K.K. Jena. 2015. Identification and fine-mapping of a new resistance gene, Xa40, conferring resistance to bacterial blight races in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 122(June): 15–34.
- Masouleh, A.K., D.L.E. Waters, R.F. Reinke, and R.J. Henry. (2009) A high-throughput assay for rapid and simultaneous analysis of perfect markers for important quality and agronomic traits in rice using multiplexed MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7:355-363.
- Reinke, R.F., L.G. Lewin, and R.L. Williams, (1994a). Effect of sowing time and nitrogen on rice cultivars of differing growth duration in New South Wales. 1. Yield and yield components. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 34: 933-938.
- Waters, D.L.E., Henry, R.J., Reinke, R.F., Fitzgerald, M.A. (2006) Gelatinisation temperature of rice explained by polymorphisms in starch synthase. Plant Biotechnology Journal 4 (1) 115
- Ye, C., S. Fukai, I. Godwin, R. Reinke, P. Snell, J. Schiller, and J. Basnayake. (2009) Cold tolerance in rice varieties at different growth stages. Crop and Pasture Science 60:328- 338.
- Ye, C., S. Fukai, I. Godwin, H. Koh, R.F. Reinke, Y. Zhou, C. Lambrides, W. Jiang, P. Snell, and E. Redoña. (2010). A QTL controlling low temperature induced spikelet sterility at booting stage in rice. Euphytica 176:1-11
Dr. Russell Reinke
Senior Scientist (Biofortification)
+63 2 580 5600 ext. 2793
+63 917 553 2328 (mobile)