Rochie’s research focuses on sensory profiling of rice, leading a panel of rice tasters that aims to find words to describe the nuances of sensory properties of rice grains. The team of rice tasters aims to help breeders screen for rice that pass quality benchmarks and in pushing the understanding of grain quality forward. Rochie also looks into grain components associated with textural attributes and into novel ways of quantifying parameters that describe texture of cooked rice.
Rochie began her career at the International Rice Research Institute in 2002, conducting molecular biology experiments in the screenhouses of Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Biotechnology (PBGB). After this brief stint in molecular biology, she worked as a quality assurance supervisor at the Antonina Industrial Corporation. There she was exposed to the importance of quality in food manufacturing. She brought her interest in food quality when she returned to IRRI in 2004 at the Grain Quality and Nutrition Center (GQNC) where she began learning how to characterize starch structure.
- Grain quality
- PhD in Agricultural Science, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia (2009)
- Bachelor of Science in Biology Major in Microbiology, University of the Philippines Los Banos, Philippines (2002)
- Scientist, Grain Quality and Nutrition Center, IRRI (July 2015-present)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Grain Grain Quality, Nutrition, and Postharvest Center, IRRI (May 2010-present)
- Researcher (Professional Service Staff) at the Grain Quality, Nutrition, and Postharvest Center, IRRI (Sept 2008-May 2010)
- September 2004–July 2005: Researcher at the Grain Quality and Nutrition Research Center, IRRI (Sept 2004-July 2005)
- Quality Assurance Supervisor, Antonina Industrial Corporation (June 2003-Aug 2004)
- Emergency Researcher at the Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Biotechnology, IRRI (June 2002-Mar 2003)
- Nestle Conference Fellowship (2015)
- Gawad Natatanging Lagunense (Youth Category) (2010)
- Bank of the Philippine Islands Science Award (2002)
- University of the Philippines Los Banos College of Arts and Sciences Outstanding Student Award (2001)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Anacleto, R., R.P. Cuevas, R. Jimenez, C. Llorente, E. Nissila, R. Henry, N. Sreenivasulu. (2015). “Prospects of breeding high-quality rice using post-genomic tools.” Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 128: 1449–1466.
- Sreenivasulu, N., V. M. Butardo, Jr., G. Misra, R.P. Cuevas, R. Anacleto, P. B. K. Kishor. 2015. “Designing climate-resilient rice with ideal grain quality suited for high-temperature stress.” Journal of Experimental Botany, 66(7): 1737–1748.
- Butardo, V. Jr., V.D. Daygon, M.L. Colgrave, P.M. Campbell, A.P. Resurreccion, R.P. Cuevas, S.A. Jobling, I.J. Tetlow, S. Rahman, M. K. Morell and M.A. Fitzgerald (2012). "Biomolecular analyses of starch and starch granule proteins in the high-amylose rice mutant Goami 2. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 60(46): 11576-11585.
- Boualaphanh, C., M.N. Calingacion, R.P. Cuevas, D. Jothityangkoon, J. Sanitchon and M.A. Fitzgerald (2011). "Yield and quality of traditional and improved Lao varieties of rice." ScienceAsia, 37(2): 89-97.
- Tran, N., V.D. Daygon, A.P. Resurreccion, R.P. Cuevas, H.M. Corpuz and M.A. Fitzgerald (2011). "A single nucleotide polymorphism on the Waxy gene explains a significant component of gel consistency." Theoretical and Applied Genetics, 123 (4): 519-525.
- Cuevas, R. P., R.G. Gilbert, M.A. Fitzgerald (2010). " Structural differences between hot-water-soluble and hot-water-insoluble fractions of starch in waxy rice (Oryza sativa L.)". Carbohydrate Polymers, 81, 524-532.
- Cuevas, R. P. V.D. Daygon, M.K. Morell, R.G. Gilbert, M.A. Fitzgerald (2010). "Using chain-length distributions to diagnose genetic diversity in starch biosynthesis". Carbohydrate Polymers, 81, 120-127.
- Cuevas, R. P., V.D. Daygon, H.M. Corpuz, R.F. Reinke, D.L.E. Waters, M.A. Fitzgerald (2010). "Melting the secrets of gelatinisation temperature in rice". Functional Plant Biology, 37, 439-447.
- Cuevas, R.P. and M.A. Fitzgerald (2007). "Linking starch structure to rice cooking quality". IREC Farmers' Newsletter, 177: 16-17.
Dr. Rosa Paula Cuevas
Scientist I - Sensory Profiling
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600
- Value-added rice
- Grain Quality and Nutrition Center (GQNC)
- Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Biotechnology Division (PBGB)