Noel is the head of IRRI's Impact Acceleration Unit and Training Center.
He provides leadership and coordination of training and capacity building activities for IRRI's external partners and clients. Noel also leads and manages the development of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for extension, such as the Rice Knowledge Bank (RKB). These information resources support the development of technology dissemination especially for the poor, through country partnerships across Asia and East and Southern Africa.
- Empowerment facilitation of resource-poor farm households (particularly on marginal farmers and women)
- Research management for impact
- Multi-agency network building
- Development of government, NGO and business linkages for enterprise development
- Research-extension linkages for technology transfer
- Knowledge management for extension and farmers
- Empowerment of resource-poor farm households
- Participatory rural research
- Capacity development of the next generation of rice scientists
- ICT for extension
- PhD, Department of Politics, Adelaide University (1996)
- MAgr in Tropical Agronomy, Sydney University (1983)
- Graduate Diploma Teaching (Sec), Adelaide CAE (1976)
- BAgSc, Adelaide University (1974)
- Head, Training Center and Manager of the Rice Knowledge Bank, IRRI, (2006-present)
- Project Manager for EC Food Security Project and continuing IRRI Representative Bangladesh (2004-2006)
- IRRI Representative Bangladesh (2001-2006) and Project Manager for PETRRA (1999-2004), IRRI-Bangladesh
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow (1996-1999) and PhD candidature, Australian Research Council (1992-1996)
- Senior Research Scientist (Farming Systems Agronomist), deputed to the Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI), IRRI-Bangladesh (1985-1991)
- HEED Bangladesh, Agriculture Program (Kamalganj Rural Development Project) (1977-1984)
- Secondary Agriculture School Teacher, South Australian Education Department, Meningie Area school, South Australia (1976)
- Agriculture Officer, SIM International Ethiopia (1974)
- Volunteer in post famine rehabilitation in northern Ethiopia
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Molina IR, Castillo GT, Barker R, Castanar P, Magor NP. 2012. Sowing the seeds of rice science: achievements and future directions for training at IRRI. Los Baños (Philippines): International Rice Research Institute. 66 p.
- Magor NP. 2012. The next generation agronomist - making your mark for food security in research or extension. Presented at Third International Agronomy Congress for Symposium on Agronomy Education for Meeting Future Challenges, held at New Delhi, India November 26-30, 2012.
- McLaren CG, Metz T, van den Berg M, Bruskiewich RM, Magor NP, Shires D. 2009. Informatics in Agricultural Research for Development. Adv. Agron. 102:135-157.
- Salahuddin A, Van Mele P, Magor N. 2008. Pro-poor values in agricultural research management: PETRRA experiences in practice. Dev. Practice 18:619-626.
- Magor NP, Salahuddin A, Haque M, Biswas TK, Bannerman M, editors. 2007. PETRRA - an experiment in pro-poor agricultural research. Dhaka (Bangladesh): Poverty Elimination through Rice Research Assistance Project, International Rice Research Institute. 688 p.
- Van Mele P, Salahuddin A, Magor NP, editors. 2005. Innovations in Rural Extension: Case Studies from Bangladesh. CABI Publishing, UK. 305 p.
- Magor NP. 2005. The Enterprise Web. In: Van Mele P, Salahuddin A, Magor NP, editors. Innovations in Rural Extension: Case Studies from Bangladesh. CABI Publishing, UK. Chapter 11, pp. 127-141.
Dr. Noel Magor
Head, Training Center (TC) and Impact Acceleration Unit
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600