Nancy is a senior associate scientist at IRRI working in assessing rice crop health and diseases of rice.
Nancy conducts field research on crop health in changing agricultural environments, crop loss assessment, disease management, and disease etiology. She does coordination and organization of knowledge on the biology and management of rice diseases.
Nancy ensures that research linkages with partners in national agricultural research and extension systems (NARES) through technical backstopping, organization of trainings, preparation of training materials, maintenance of database on training materials. She also serves as a resource person on rice fungal diseases and crop health assessment.
- Rice pathology
- Crop loss assessment
- Crop health assessment
- PhD in Phytopathology, Université de Paris XI (1998)
- MSc in Biology major in Environmental Biology, University of the Philippines in Diliman (1990)
- BSc in Biology, University of the Philippines Los Baños (1981)
- Associate Scientist, IRRI (2001-2009)
- Assistant Scientist, IRRI (1998-2001)
- Senior Research Assistant, IRRI (1995-1998)
- Research Assistant, IRRI (1991-1995)
- Graduate Assistant, IRRI (1987-1990)
- Project Evaluation Assistant, Ministry of Human Settlements, Manila, Philippines (1982-1986)
- Special Achievement Award, IRRI (1994)
- Excellence Award, IRRI (1999)
- CGIAR Science Award for Outstanding Scientific Support Team (2002)
- American Phytopathological Society International Travel Award (2008)
- American Phytopathological Society
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Castilla, N. P., Willocquet, L., Suwarno, S., Santoso, S. , Nasution, A., Sulaeman, Y., Savary, S. and Vera Cruz, C.M. 2010. Assessing the effect of resistant-susceptible associations and determining thresholds for associations in suppressing leaf and neck blast of rice. Crop Prot. 29: 390-400.
- Savary, S. and Castilla, N.P. 2009. A survey portfolio to characterize yield-reducing factors in rice. IRRI Discussion Paper No 18. 32 p.
- Tang, Q., Peng, S., Buresh, R.J., Zou, Y., Castilla, N.P., Mew, T.W., Zhong, X. 2007. Rice varietal difference in sheath blight development and its association with yield loss at different levels of N fertilization, Field Crops Res. 102:219-227.
- Savary, S., Castilla, N.P. Elazegui, F.A. and Teng, P.S. 2005. Multiple effects of two drivers of agricultural change, labour shortage and water scarcity, on rice pest profiles in tropical Asia. Field Crops Res. 91:263-271.
- Willocquet, L., Elazegui, F.A., Castilla, N., Fernandez, L., Fischer, K.S., Peng, S., Teng, P.S., Srivastava, R.K., Singh, H.M, Zhu, D. and Savary S. 2004. Research Priorities for Rice Pest Management in Tropical Asia: A Simulation Analysis of Yield Losses and Management Efficiencies. Phytopathology 94:672-682.
- Elazegui, F.A., Castilla, N.P., Dalisay, T.U., and. Mew, T.W. 2004. Causal agent of red stripe disease of rice. Plant Dis. 88: 1310-1317.
- Mew, T. W., Castilla, N. P., Elazegui, F. A. and Vera Cruz, C. M. 2001. The etiology of red stripe of rice: current status and future directions. Int. Rice Res. Notes 26(1): 4-10.
- Castilla, N.P., Vera Cruz, C.M., Zhu, Y., Mew, T.W. 2003. Using rice cultivar mixtures: a sustainable approach for managing diseases and increasing yield. Int. Rice Res. Notes 28(2): 5-11.
- Willocquet, L., Savary, S., Fernandez, L., Elazegui, F.A., Castilla, N., Zhu, D., Tang, Q., Huang, S., Singh, H.M., and Srivastava, R.K. 2002. Structure and validation of RICEPEST, a production situation-driven, crop growth model simulating rice yield response to multiple pest injuries for tropical Asia. Ecol. Model. 153: 247-268.
- Cabunagan, R.C., Castilla, N.P., Coloquio, E.R., Tiongco, E.R., Truong, X.H., Fernandez, J., Du, M.J., Zaragosa, B., Hozak, R.R., Savary, S. and Azzam, 0. 2001. Synchrony of planting and proportions of susceptible varieties affect rice tungro epidemics in the Philippines. Crop Prot. 20:499-510.
- Savary, S., Castilla, N.P. and Willocquet, L. 2000. Analysis of the spatiotemporal structure of rice sheath blight epidemics in a farmer's field. Plant Pathol. 50:53-68.
- Savary, S., Willocquet, L., Elazegui, F.A., Castilla, N.P. and Teng, P.S. 2000. Rice pest constraints in tropical Asia: Quantification of yield losses due to rice pests in a range of production situations. Plant Dis. 84:357-369.
Dr. Nancy Castilla
Senior Associate Scientist, Crop and Environmental Sciences Division (CESD)
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600
Leigh Vial looks at assessing biotic influences (both good and bad) that are taking place as the rice crop approaches its maximum tillering stage. He consults with Nancy Castilla, IRRI plant pathologist, on how to proceed with this assessment, which will take place in the coming days.