Man is an Assistant Scientist working on rice modeling. Using ORYZA v3.0, he conducts multi-environment simulation studies related to nitrogen and/or water stress, climate change scenarios, and potential conditions. He supervises field experimental data gathering that are needed in his modeling works. He also trains scholars, fellow researchers, extension workers, and scientists in implementing ORYZA v3.0 in their own simulation studies.
Man was exposed to and became interested in agriculture from the small town in Masbate where he grew up. He studied Agricultural Engineering in the University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB) where he also worked as a researcher after he graduated. He was involved in the ‘Carabao’ mango supply chain research at the Postharvest Horticulture Training and Research Center of UPLB until he started his graduate studies in Environmental Science and Management in 2009. An opportunity was opened for him to work at IRRI in 2010 and currently honing his career in rice science.
Aside from his work as an assistant scientist, he is also involved in some important committees and organizations in the Institute. He is a former chairman of CESD’s Division Management Committee and president of the IRRI Filipino Scientists Association. He is also a member of the IRRI Toastmasters Club.
- Crop modeling
- Water science
- MSc in Environmental Science and Management, UPLB (with units)
- BS Agricultural Engineering, University of the Philippines Los Banos (2005)
- Assistant Scientist, IRRI (2010-present)
- University Research Associate II, UPLB (2006-2009)
- Young Rice Scientist Awardee, International Rice Congress 2014, Bangkok, Thailand (2014)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Marcaida, M. III, Li, T., Angeles, O., Evangelista G.K., Fontanilla, M.A., Xu, J., Gao, Y., Li, Z., Ali, J., 2014. Biomass accumulation and partitioning of newly developed Green Super Rice (GSR) cultivars under drought stress during the reproductive stage. Field Crops Res. 162, 30-38.
- Li, T., Hasegawa, T., Yin, X., Zhu, Y., Boote, K., Adam, M., Bregaglio, S., Buis, S., Confalonieri, R., Fumoto, T., Gaydon, D., Marcaida, M. III, Nakagawa, H., Oriol, P., Ruane, A.C., Ruget, F., Singh, B., Singh, U., Tang, L., Tao, F., Wilkens, P., Yoshida, H., Zhang, Z., Bouman., 2014. Uncertainties in predicting rice yield by current crop models under a wide range of climatic conditions. Global Change Biol. Accepted 7 Oct 2014.
- Li, T., Raman A.K., Marcaida M. III, Kumar, A., Angeles O., Radanielson, A.M., 2013. Simulation of genotype performances across a larger number of environments for rice breeding using ORYZA2000. Field Crops Res. 149, 312-321.
Manuel Marcaida III
Assistant Scientist, Crop and Environmental Sciences Division (CESD)
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna