J.K. is a principal scientist for soils and agronomy research at IRRI. He's also an adjunct senior scientist at the Earth Institute, Columbia University, New York and an associate at the department of plant sciences University of California, Davis.
J.K. is a soil scientist and agronomist with many years of experience working in Asia. He is recognized internationally as an authority on science and technology for food security and sustainable management of the world’s major cereal cropping systems. J.K provides leadership in developing and executing vision and agenda for IRRI’s research on crop and resource management in South Asia.
He has authored or co-authored over 200 scientific papers in international refereed journals and edited-co edited thirteen books on aspects of cereal system research. J.K. has one of the highest numbers of refereed journal publications and citation index in the whole CGIAR system and has received numerous awards from various academic, government and industry organizations. He is also a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America, and the National Academy of Agriculture Sciences India.
- Cereal system research
- Conservation agriculture
- Soil fertility and plant nutrition
- Biological nitrogen fixation and N management
- PhD in Botany, Banaras Hindu University, India (1976)
- MSc in Science, Jiwaji University, India (1973)
- Principal scientist (2010-present)
- IRRI representative for India and Nepal (2010-2015)
- Senior scientist, representative for India and coordinator of Rice-Wheat Consortium, IRRI (2004-2010)
- Frosty Hill Fellow, Cornell University (2007-2008)
- Project team leader & soil microbiologist and soil nutritionist, IRRI (1998-2007)
- Post doctoral fellow, IRRI (1980-1983)
- Associate professor, Madurai Kamraj University (1977-1980)
- Post doctoral fellow, University of Dundee (1976-1977)
- International Service in Crop Science, Crop Science Society of America (2015)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Soil Conservation Society of India (2014)
- International Service in Agronomy Award, American Society of Agronomy (2011)
- International Soil Science Award, Soil Science Society of America (2010)
- International Plant Nutrition Science Award, International Plant Nutrition Institute, USA (2009)
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2008)
- Frosty Hill Fellow Award, Cornell University (2007-2008)
- Outstanding Agriculture Scientist Award, American Association of Scientists of Indian Origin (2005)
- Fellow, Soil Science Society of America (2004)
- Fellow, American Society of Agronomy (2002)
- King Baudouin Award for Outstanding Scientific Partnership - team award (2004)
- CGIAR Chairman’s Excellence Science Award – team award (2004)
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Agricultural Sciences (1999)
- Young Scientist Award, Indian National Science Academy (1979)
- Member, Crop Science Society of America
- Life Member, Asian Agri-History Foundation
- Member, Soil Science Society of America
- Member, American Society of Agronomy
- Life Member, Crop Science Society of the Philippines
- Member, International Soil Science Society
- Life Member, Philippine Microbiology Society
- Life Member, Society of Bionaturalists, India
- Regional editor, Biology and Fertility of Soils
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Padre Agnes Tirol-, Rai Munmun, Gathala Mahesh, Sharma Sheetal, Kumar Virender, Sharma PC, Sharma DK, Wassmann Reiner and Ladha JK. 2014. Assessing the performance of the photo-acoustic infrared gas monitor for measuring CO2, N2O, and CH4 fluxes in two major cereal rotations. Global Change Biology. 20, 287-299.
- Gathala Mahesh K, Kumar Virender, Sharma PC, Saharawat YS, Jat HS, Singh Mainpal, Kumar Amit, Jat ML, Humphreys E, Sharma DK, Sharma Sheetal, Ladha JK. 2013. Optimizing Intensive Cereal-Based Cropping Systems Addressing Current and Future Drivers of Agricultural Change in the Northwestern Indo-Gangetic Plains of India. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment. 177, 85-97.
- Ladha JK, C. Kesava Reddy, Agnes T. Padre, Chris V. Kessel. 2011. Role of Nitrogen Fertilization in Sustaining Organic Matter in Cultivated Soils. Journal of Environmental Quality. 40, 1756-1766.
- Kumar V, Ladha JK. 2011. Direct seeding of rice: recent developments and future research needs. Advances in Agronomy. 111, 297-413.
- Padre-Tirol A, Ladha JK. 2006. Integrating rice and wheat productivity trends using the SAS mixed-procedure and meta-analysis. Field Crop Res. 95: 75-88.
- Ladha JK, Pathak HP, Krupnik TJ, Six J, van Kessel C. 2005. Efficiency of fertilizer nitrogen in cereal production: retrospect and prospect. Advances in Agronomy 87: 85-156.
- Bhandari AL, Ladha JK, Pathak H, Padre AT, Dawe D, Gupta RK. 2002. Yield and soil nutrient changes in a long-term rice-wheat rotation in India. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 66:162-170.
- Gyaneshwar P, James EK, Natarajan M, Reddy PM, Reinhold-Hurek B, Ladha JK. 2001. Endophytic colonization of rice by a diazotrophic strain of Serratia marcescens. J. Bacteriol. 183:2634-2645.
- Kouchi H, Takane K, So RB, Ladha JK. Reddy PM. 1999. Rice ENOD40: Isolation and expression analysis in rice and transgenic soybean root nodules. Plant J. 18:121-129.
- Ladha JK, Kirk GJD, Bennett J, Reddy CK, Reddy PM, Singh U. 1998. Opportunities for increased nitrogen use efficiency from improved lowland rice germplasm. Field Crops Res. 56:41-71.
- Peoples MB, Herridge DF, Ladha JK. 1995. Biological nitrogen fixation: An efficient source of nitrogen for sustainable agricultural production? Plant and Soil 174:3-28.
- Ladha JK, Dawe D, Pathak H, Padre AT, Yadav RL, Singh Bijay, Singh Yadvinder, Singh Y, Singh P, Kundu AL, Sakal R, Ram N, Regmi AP, Gami SK, Bhandari AL, Amin R, Yadav CR, Bhattarai EM, Das S, Aggarwal HP, Gupta RK, Hobbs PR. 2003. How extensive are yield declines in long-term rice-wheat experiments in Asia? Field Crops Res. 81:159-180.
Dr. Jagdish K. Ladha
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
Rice Today features
- Rice diplomacy in South Asia (Rice Today Apr-Jun 2013)
- What's cooking?: Masala Dosa (Rice Today Apr-Jun 2013)
- A day in the life of an Odisha rice farmer (Rice Today Oct-Dec 2012)