Anindya is a molecular biologist with experience from both public and private sector in the field of plant genetic engineering and biotechnology. He currently leads the molecular research at IRRI's C4 rice center, which includes gene, promoter discovery and genetic engineering of rice towards better photosynthesis, yield and biomass. He is also a member of the International C4 rice consortium, a multi-discipline consortium from around the world funded by the BMGF to engineer C4 photosynthesis into rice.
Anindya is also involved in the development of genome editing and gene stacking technology for rice using site specific recombinases, TALEN, and CRISPR-Cas9 system.
Being trained in the area of IP management, technology transfer and stewardship of biotechnology derived plant products, Anindya also helps in coordinating C4 center's research with other expert functions such as public private partnership and stewardship.
- Plant Molecular Biology
- Plant transformation and tissue culture
- Genome editing, gene stacking
- IP and Technology Transfer
- Licensing Academy course on IP and Technology Transfer, UC Davis, USA (2015)
- PhD in rice genetic engineering from IRRI and University of Calcutta (sandwich program) (2006)
- MS from University of Calcutta (2011)
- BS from Presidency College, Kolkata, India (1999)
- Scientist-II, Molecular Biology, IRRI (2016-)
- Scientist-I, Molecular Biology, IRRI (2014-2016)
- Research Scientist/ Group Leader, MAHYCO Ltd, India (2011-2014)
- Posdoctoral Fellow, Department of Plant Pathology, University of Kentucky, USA (2008-2011)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Plant Gene Expression Center, University of California Berkeley, USA (2007-2008)
- Post Doctoral fellow, Dept of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Medical University of South Carolina, USA (2006-2007)
- Awarded Fogarty-NIH Post Doctoral fellowship 2006 for training in HIV-I silencing research at Brown Medical School, Rhode Island USA.
- Best Poster award 2005, 18th Scientific Conference of the Federation of Crop science Societies of the Philippines (FCSSP) held in the Cagayan De Oro city, Philippines.
- Awarded core PhD Fellowship from International Rice Research Institute
- International Association of Plant Biotechnology
- International Society of Photosynthesis Research
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Anindya Bandyopadhyay, Kristin Kopperud, Gavin Anderson, Kathleen Martin and Michael Goodin (2010). An integrated protein localization and interaction map for Potato yellow dwarf virus, type species of the genus Nucleorhabdovirus. [Virology, 402, (1), 61-71]
- Gavin Anderson, Renyuan Wang, Anindya Bandyopadhyay and Michael Goodin (2012).The nucleocapsid protein of Potato yellow dwarf virus:protein interactions and nuclear import mediated by a non-canonical nuclear localization signal [Frontiers in Plant Science,3,(14)].
- Anindya Bandyopadhyay , K. Datta, N. Oliva, Yang Yun Ho, J. Zhang,S. Raychaudhuri, M.Miyao and S. K. Datta (2007). Enhanced photosynthesis rate in genetically engineered indica rice expressing pepc gene of maize [Plant Science , 172,( 6), 1204-1209]
- Jianfu Zhang, Anindya Bandyopadhyay , Krisnan Sellappan, Guoying Wang, Hua’an Xie, K. Datta and Swapan K. Datta (2009).Characterization of a C4 maize pyruvate orthophosphate dikinase expressed in C3 transgenic rice plants [African Journal of Biotechnology,9 (2), 234-242].
- V.Parkhi, M.Rai, J.Tan, N.Oliva, S.Rehana, A. Bandyopadhyay, L.Torrizzo, V.Ghole, K.Datta, S. K.Datta (2005). Molecular characterization of marker-free transgenic lines of indica rice that accumulate carotenoids in seed endosperm. [Mol Gen Genomics, 274(4): 325-36].
- Datta, Swapan; Datta, Karabi; Parkhi, Vilas; Rai, Mayank; Baisakh, Niranjan; Sahoo, Gayatri; Rehana, Sayeda; Bandyopadhyay, Anindya; Alamgir, Md.; Ali, Md.; Abrigo, Editha; Oliva, Norman; Torrizo Lina(2007) Golden rice: introgression, breeding, and field evaluation [Euphytica, 154,( 3) : 271-278].
Dr. Anindya Bandyopadhyay
Scientist I-Molecular Biology, C4 Rice Center
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600