Ole is a scientist in IRRI’s climate change research group with a focus on greenhouse gas (GHG) mitigation technologies. He joined IRRI in January 2010 as a Collaborative Research Scientist with Dr. Reiner Wassmann.
As climate change specialist, Ole analyzes the GHG balance of different cropping systems in Vietnam and the Philippines. He evaluates different mitigation options through water, fertilizer, and crop residue management. Ole also identifies suitable conditions to support dissemination of mitigation technologies particularly the water saving method alternate wetting and drying (AWD), which offers huge potential in reducing methane emissions. Ole works with different stakeholders in Vietnam, Bangladesh and the Philippines to foster implementation of this climate-smart farming practice.
- Climate change
- Greenhouse gas mitigation
- PhD in Chemistry, University of Kiel, Germany (2008)
- Diplom in Chemistry, University of Kiel, Germany (2005)
- Scientist, Climate Change Specialist, IRRI (2015-present)
- Consultant, Climate Change Specialist, IRRI (2014-2015)
- Collaborative Research Scientist, Climate Change Specialist, IRRI (2010-2014)
- Scientific collaborator, University of Kiel (2005-2009)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Sander, B.O., Samson, M., Buresh, R.J. (2014) Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Flooded Rice Fields as Affected by Water and Straw Management between Rice Crops, Geoderma, 235-236, 355-362.
- Sander, B.O., Wassmann, R. (2014) Common Practices for Manual Greenhouse Gas Sampling in Rice Production: A Literature Study on Sampling Modalities of the Closed Chamber Method. Greenhouse Gas Measurement and Management, 4, 1, 1-13.
- Siopongco, J.D.L.C., Wassmann, R. and Sander, B.O. (2013) Alternate wetting and drying in Philippine rice production: feasibility study for a Clean Development Mechanism, IRRI Technical Bulletin No. 17, Los Baños (Philippines): International Rice Research Institute. 14 p.
Dr. Bjoern Ole Sander
Climate Change Specialist, Crop and Environmental Sciences Division (CESD)
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600