Mark Gruner joined IRRI on September 1, 2015 to lead the Finance function. He is now IRRI's Director of Finance. He has 20 years of experience working managing finance teams internationally. Mark works to ensure that IRRI has a strong fiduciary function and ensures that IRRI maintains its financial health.
Mark's career started out in Montreal, Canada working with a small CA firm and then moved over to finish his internship at Coopers & Lybrand (now PWC). He then moved to Sarajevo, Bosnia as finance manager soon after the war in the Balkans.
Prior to joining IRRI, Mark worked in Johannesburg covering the Sub-Saharan Africa region for the International Finance Corporation as Regional Financial Controller, having a direct and positive impact on the ability to better forecast and manage budgets.
- Financial Leadership
- Budget and forecast management
- Team Building
- Financial Reporting and Analysis
- Problem Solving
- Cost/Benefit Analysis
- Chartered Accounting (Canada) (1992)
- Graduate Degree in Public Accounting, McGill University (1992)
- Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry, McGill University (1989)
- Director of Finance, IRRI, (September 2015-present)
- Regional Financial Controller of Sub-Saharan Africa Region, International Finance Corporation (IFC), (March 2004-August 2015) (worked in South Africa, Bosnia, Serbia and Turkey)
- Chief Financial Officer, Commission for Real Property Claims of Displaced Persons and Refugees, CRPC, Sarajevo, Bosnia (August 1998-March 2004)
- Finance Manager, International Rescue Committee, IRC (November 1996-July 1998)
Director of Finance
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600