As IRRI’s Deputy Director General for Research, Jackie oversees the institute’s global research agenda covering plant breeding, genetics, crop and environmental sciences, and social sciences. She brings a combination of agricultural research leadership and management expertise, with a career spanning more than three decades in Asia, Africa, and Europe.
Prior to joining IRRI, Jackie worked for the AVRDC - The World Vegetable Center, in Taiwan, where she served for a decade in the same capacity. Before that, she spent more than 10 years at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) in Nigeria, taking on positions of progressive responsibility throughout her tenure. Jackie has an extensive publication record in areas such as agricultural science, global nutrition, and climate change.
- Plant virology
- Agricultural botany
- Genetic resources
- PhD Microbiology/Virology, University of Reading, UK (1986)
- BSc Agricultural Botany, University of Reading, UK (1982)
- Deputy Director General for Research, IRRI (present)
- Deputy Director General-Research, AVRDC - The World Vegetable Center, Taiwan (2005-March 2016)
- Virologist; Head, Germplasm Health Unit; Councilor – IITA’s Research for Development Council; Plant Health Management Division Director’s Representative (Headquarters); Infrastructure Manager, IITA’s Cellular and Molecular Technologies Laboratory, International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Nigeria (1994-2005)
- Technical Cooperation Officer, Cocoa Research Institute, Ghana (1990-1993)
- Higher Scientific Officer, Institute of Horticultural Research, United Kingdom (1987-1990)
- Research Associate / Research Fellow, University of Birmingham, United Kingdom (1985-1987)
- Scientific Officer, Glasshouse Crops Research Institute, UK (1982-1985)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Hughes Jd’A, Kasemsap P, Dasgupta S, Dutta OP, Ketsa S, Chaikiattiyos S, Linwattana G, Kosiyachinda S, and Chantrasmi V. eds. 2015. Proceedings of the Regional Symposium on Sustaining Small-Scale Vegetable Production and Marketing Systems for Food and Nutrition Security (SEAVEG2014), 25-27 February 2014, Bangkok, Thailand. AVRDC - The World Vegetable Center, Publication No. 15-785. AVRDC - The World Vegetable Center), Taiwan.
- Hughes Jd'A, and Keatinge JDH. 2015. Vegetables – Nutrition for the Poor and Health for All. Chapter 3. Handbook of Vegetables Vol. II. Eds. K.V. Peter and Pranab Hazra, Studium Press LLC (USA), India.
- Keatinge JDH, Ledesma Dr, Hughes Jd'A, and Keatinge FJD. 2015. Assessing the value of long term historical air temperature records in the estimation of warming trends for use by agricultural scientists globally. Advances in Agricultural Sciences 3: 01–19.
- Nair RM, Thavarajah D, Thavarajah P, Giri RR, Ledesma D, Yang RY, Hanson P, Easdown W, Hughes Jd'A, and Keatinge JDH. 2015. Mineral and phenolic concentrations of mungbean [Vigna radiata (L.) R. Wilczek var. radiata] grown in semi-arid tropical India. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 39: 23–32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2014.10.009 0889-1575/@ 2014 Elsevier Inc.
- Ojiewo C, Tenkouano A, Hughes Jd'A, Keatinge JDH, Nair R, Ganga Rao NVP, Monyo E, Silim S, and Varshney R. 2015. The role of vegetables and legumes in assuring food, nutrition and income security for vulnerable groups in Sub-Saharan Africa. Special issue of the World Medical and Health Policy Journal on Global Food Security and Health. Presented and discussed on "Summit on Food Security and Health," 2 October 2014, George Mason University's School of Policy, Government and International Affairs, Arlington, Virginia, USA.
- Keatinge JDH, Ledesma DR, Keatinge FJD, and Hughes Jd’A. 2014. Projecting annual air temperature changes to 2025 and beyond: Implications for vegetable production. Journal of Agricultural Science 152: 38–57 doi: 10.1017/s0021859612000913.
- Keatinge JDH, Lin LJ, Ebert AW, Chen WY, Hughes Jd'A, Luther GC, Wang JF, and Ravishankar M. 2014. Overcoming biotic and abiotic stresses in the Solanaceae through grafting: Current status and future perspectives. Biological Agriculture and Horticulture: An International Journal for Sustainable Production Systems DOI: 10.1080/01448765.2014.964317.
- Kenyon L, Kumar S, Tsai WS, and Hughes Jd'A. 2014. Virus diseases of peppers (Capsicum spp.) and their control. in: Gad Loebenstein and Nikolaos Katis (eds.) Advances in Virus Research 90: 297–354. Burlington: Academic Press, 2014 ISBN: 978-0-12-801246-8 Elsevier Inc. Academic Press.
- Nair RM, Schafleitner R, Easdown WJ, Ebert A, Hanson P, Hughes Jd'A, and Keatinge JDH. 2014. Legume improvement program at AVRDC (The World Vegetable Center): Impact and future prospects. Ratarstvo i povrtarstvo 51:1 doi:10.5937/ratpov51-5488.
- Schreinemachers P, Nagaraj I, Hughes Jd'A, and Keatinge JDH. 2014. Nourishing the world requires women at the forefront of agricultural research and development. New Agriculturist, January 2014 http://www.new-ag.info/en/research/innovationItem.php?a=3180.
Deputy Director General for Research
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600 ext. 2773