Bruce has served as IRRI’s Deputy Director General (Communication and Partnerships), since 2012, returning to IRRI after an earlier stint as Research Associate in the Social Science Division in 1980-81. Bruce is also the elected Secretary to the IRRI Board of Trustees. Bruce leads several key areas of IRRI programming: fund-raising, communication, and partnerships with donors, international and regional organizations, national governments, and agriculture-related ministries and agencies. He also oversees IRRI’s legal services.
Bruce earned a Ph.D. in Economics at the University of Hawaii and the East West Center, and a Master’s in Economics at Xavier University in the Philippines. He served as Deputy Minister/ Undersecretary of Agriculture of the Ministry of Agriculture and Food/ Department of Agriculture of the Philippines from 1986-1993.
With more than 35 years of progressive experience in governance, management, analysis, and planning socioeconomic development reforms and initiatives, Bruce has successful projects with NGOs and government agencies in Asia, Africa, and Central America under his belt. He has served as a consultant on development issues for the Philippine Government (both executive and legislative branches) and international policy research and donor agencies, including CGIAR institutions and various UN agencies, the World Bank Group, and ADB.
Bruce has extensive field experience in top management of large-scale, governance, rural, agricultural, and agro-enterprise development programs. His experience includes working under difficult conditions, including civil war and cross-cultural/religious contexts.
Bruce also has substantial research work and teaching experience, both in formal and non-formal settings.. His publications focus on governance and economics in the development context, specifically on food security.
- Governance, management, analysis, and planning of socio-economic development projects and program;
- Fundraising and donor relations;
- Communication and advocacy aspects of development strategy and policy reform initiatives; and
- Senior management of large-scale, governance/ rural/ agricultural, and agro-enterprise development programs.
- PhD Economics (financial economics/ economic development), University of Hawaii/Resource Systems Institute/ East-West Center, USA (1986)
- PhD dissertation: Economies of scale, relative efficiency and banking policy
- PhD Economics Program, School of Economics, University of the Philippines (1981-1982)
- Fellow, Summer Economics Program, College of Economics and Management, University of the Philippines (1981)
- M.S. Economics (human resources economics), Xavier University, Philippines (1979)
- M.S. thesis: Economic cost structures and patterns in non-formal education
- B.A. in Economics, Xavier University, Philippines (1978)
- B.A. in Mass Communications, Saint Louis University, Philippines (1969-1972)
- Deputy Director General (Communication and Partnerships), and Secretary to the IRRI Board of Trustees, IRRI, (March 2012–present)
- Country Representative, The Asia Foundation, Afghanistan, (2011–2012)
- Chief Economist and Director for Economic Reform and Development Programs, The Asia Foundation, San Francisco, USA (2007-2011)
- Panelist, Economics Advisory Panel, Australian Agency for International Development (AusAID) (2010–2011)
- Senior Technical Adviser (Agriculture, Natural Resources Management, and Sustainable Livelihoods), Southeast Asia and Pacific Region, Catholic Relief Services (CRS), based in Hanoi, Vietnam (2004-2007)
- Senior Economic Policy Adviser, Supreme National Economic Council (SNEC), Office of the Prime Minister, Cambodia (2002–2004)
- Deputy Minister/Undersecretary (Policy, Planning, and International Trade), Ministry of Agriculture, Philippines (1989–1993)
- Executive Director (rank of Deputy Minister), Agricultural Credit Policy Council (ACPC), Philippines (1986-1989)
- Assistant Minister, Planning and Monitoring, Ministry of Agriculture and Food, Philippines (1987-1989)
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “ASEAN Cooperation: Crucial to Global Food Security,” Rice Today, International Rice Research Institute, April 2014.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Rice Diplomacy in South Asia,” Rice Today, International Rice Research Institute, April-June 2013
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J. and Beulah Maria de la Pena, “Stymied Reforms in Rice Marketing in the Philippines, 1980-2009,” in Built on Dreams, Grounded in Reality: Economic Policy Reforms in the Philippines, The Asia Foundation, 2011
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “The Asia Foundation: Strengthening Local Economic Governance Across Asia,” in The Asia Foundation, Innovations in Strengthening Local Economic Governance in Asia, The Asia Foundation, May 2011
- Faustino, Jaime and V. Bruce J. Tolentino, “A Political Economy Approach to National-Level Economic Policy Reforms,” in The Asia Foundation, Innovations in Strengthening Local Economic Governance in Asia, The Asia Foundation, May 2011
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., From Analysis to Implementation: The Practice of Political Economy Approaches to Economic Reform, Occasional Paper 3, The Asia Foundation. September 2010
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Fostering Regional Integration for Shared Food Security,” In Asia, The Asia Foundation, 7 July 2010
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Asia’s Economic Recovery: Contrasting Narratives,” In Asia, The Asia Foundation, 19 May 2010
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “On Earth Day: Continuing Hunger in Asia,” In Asia, The Asia Foundation, 21 April 2010
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Governance Constraints to Sustainable Rice Production in the Philippines,” International Rice Research Institute, 2002.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Do Filipinos Eat Too Much Rice?” Yellow Pad, BusinessWorld, November 13, 2001.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., et al., “101 Facts About Rice in the Philippines,” Development Research News, Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), July – August 2001, 2001.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J. and Elcee Noveno, “Rice is Very Expensive in the Philippines,” Development Research News, Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS), July – August 2001; also in The Manila Times, August 2001.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J. et. al, “Strategic Actions to Rapidly Ensure Food Security and Rural Growth in the Philippines,” Action for Economic Reforms and the Institute for Public Policy, July 2001.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., “Organizing for Food Security and Poverty Alleviation: An Initial Action Program for the Department of Agriculture,” Philippine Institute for Development Studies, 2002.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., "The Implementation of Policy Reform; Some Notes From Experience,” in Closing the Loop’: The Interface Between NRM-Oriented Research and Policy Reform, International Service for National Agricultural Research and European Centre for Development Policy Management, Maastricht, The Netherlands, 1998.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J. and Arsenio Balisacan, "Equity and Efficiency Effects of Fertilizer Subsidies," The APEX CGE Model of the Philippine Economy, Australian Council for International Agricultural Research, Canberra, 1994.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., Decision-Makers' Assessment and Future Development of Research Priority-Setting and Resource Allocation Models, Australian Center of International Agricultural Research, Kuala Lumpur, May 29-31 1991.
- Tolentino, V. Bruce J., "Towards Food Security in the Philippines, “Intersectoral Communicator (V7, No 9/10) Ateneo de Manila University Institute on Church and Social Issues, Philippines, 1993.
Dr. V. Bruce J. Tolentino
Deputy Director General for Communication and Partnerships
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600
Vietnam's Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) and IRRI put their full weight behind a national strategy designed to make rice production an even larger engine of inclusive economic growth.
Media release and news items
- Tanzania and IRRI strengthen partnership
- Taiwan funds collaborative multi-year research partnership on rice science
- Thailand invests in partnership-driven rice research
- ASEAN supports building the next generation of rice scientists
- Food security a top priority for ASEAN ministers and senior officials
- South Asian officials strengthen partnership with IRRI
- Myanmar recognizes IRRI partnership for improving country's rice sector
- Rice is key to Indonesia’s food security, officials say
- Vietnam and IRRI jointly craft strategy to boost country’s rice industry
- Our commitment to help in the fight against vitamin-A deficiency
- Second Green Revolution seeks to leave no farmer behind