Sophie led a small team of public relations specialists to help promote and share IRRI's work.
Sophie helped provide strategic communications support for IRRI and works with the Public Relations team to develop and implement IRRI-wide communication initiatives and provide professional communication services and support. She is also involved in media relations, writing, branding, issues management, website content and development, and social media. She was also the IRRI publisher for the magazine, Rice Today.
Sophie worked with many other communication professionals across IRRI to help deliver a full compliment of communication services to the Institute.
- Science communication
- Issues management
- Public and media relations
- Strategic communications
- Popular science writing
- Graduate Certificate in Marketing, University of Canberra (2008-2009)
- Graduate Certificate in Science Communication, Australian National University (2000-2003)
- Bachelor of Science in Resource and Environment Management, Australian National University (1993-1996)
- Public Relations Manager, IRRI (2009-2013)
- Communications Manager, CSIRO Plant Industry (2007-2009)
- Communications Officer, CSIRO Plant Industry (2000-2007)
- (included secondment to Government Relations and as Assistant Editor to ECOS magazine)
- Coordinator, Southern Tablelands Farm Forestry Network (1996-2000)
- Laboratory and field technician, CSIRO Plant Industry (1994-1996)
- Herbarium assistant, CSIRO Plant Industry (1993-1994)
- Farm technician, CSIRO Plant Industry (1992-1993)