Glenn is a former senior scientist and plant breeder working on abiotic stress tolerance of rice. He was also the deputy head of IRRI's Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division (PBGB) and the acting global coordinator of International Network for Genetic Evaluation of Rice (INGER). He specialized in rice breeding and genetics of salinity and problem soils tolerance for Asia and Africa.
He worked as the principal investigator for IRRI's project on developing stress-tolerant rice for Asia and Africa, as well as for the other CGIAR challenge programs.
He led the team to release more than ten rice varieties in Asia and Africa for saline, cold, and micronutrient dense rice.
Apart from research, Dr. Gregorio supervised scholars pursuing their undergraduate and graduate degrees from Asia and Africa. At the same time, he served as an adjunct professor on plant breeding and genetics at the University of the Philippines and Central Mindanao University.
- Rice breeding and genetics of salt-tolerant rice
- Doctor of Philosophy, DOST Scholar, University of the Philippines Los Baños (1997)
- Major field: Genetics; Minor field: Statistics
- Master of Science, IRRI Scholar, Universityof the Philippines Los Baños (1991)
- Major field: Plant Breeding; Minor field: Soil Science
- Bachelor of Science, Dean's List, Universityof the Philippines, Los Baños (1986)
- Major field: Agriculture; Minor field: Agronomy
- Senior Scientist and Plant Breeder for abiotic stress tolerance cum Deputy Head of Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI (October 2010- 2015)
- Senior Scientist, Abiotic Stress Tolerance Rice Breeder, Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI (July 2009-2015)
- Senior Scientist, Rice Breeder for Africa and IRRI Liaison Scientist for Africa Rice Center(AfricaRice), Africa Rice Center Nigeria Station, at the International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA), Ibadan, Nigeria (2007-2009)
- Scientist, Rice Breeder for Africa, Africa Rice Center IITA, Ibadan, Nigeria (2004-2007)
- International Research Fellow, Plant Breeder, IRRI (2003-2004)
- Affiliate Scientist, Plant Breeder, IRRI (2000-2003)
- Project Scientist and Interim Plant Breeder (1998-1999), IRRI
- Interim Project team leader for the efficient selection techniques and novel germplasm for increasing productivity of flood-prone ricelands
- Consultant to Rice Micronutrient Project, IRRI (May 1997-Dec 1997)
- Research Aide/Research assistant/Senior Research Assistant, Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI (1986-1997)
- Ten Outstanding Youth Scientists of the Philippines (TOYS), awarded by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) (1980)
- Del Monte Philippines, Inc. undergraduate scholarship award at UPLB (1982-1986)
- IRRI Filipino Scientist Association (IFSA) Special Achievement Award (1999)
- Honorary Foreign Scientist Award of the Rural Development Administration (RDA) (2002-2005)
- Outstanding Young Scientist (OYS) in the field of Genetics. Awarded by the National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) (2004)
- The Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) Philippines in Plant Breeding and Genetics (2004)
- Crop Science Society of the Philippines Achievement Award for Crop Science Research (2004)
- Philippine Agriculture and Resources Research Foundation, Inc. (PARRFI) R&D Award (research category) under the Los Baños Science Community Foundation, Inc. (LBSCFI) R&D Award for Agriculture and Forestry (research category) (2006)
- Outstanding scientific publication. Awarded. National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST), Philippines (2007)
- Central Mindanao University (CMU) centennial (1910-2010) Most Distinguished Alumnus (2010)
- Advisory board member of the International committee of Trace Elements and health (2003-present)
- Philippine Society for the Advancement of Genetics (PhilSAGen), President (2002-04)
- Crop Science Society of the Philippines (CSSP), President (2002), Member of the Board (1999-2003)
- Philippine American Academy of Science and Engineering (PAASE)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Gregorio GB Senadhira D, Mendoza RD, Manigbas NL, Roxas JP, Guerta CQ 2002. Progress in breeding for salinity tolerance and related abiotic stresses in rice. Field Crops Res 76:91-101
- Senadhira D, Gregorio GB, Zapata-Arias FJ, Alejar MS, de la Cruz HC, Padolina TF Galvez.AM 2002. Development of the first salt-tolerant rice variety through indica/indica anther culture. Field Crops Res 76:103-110
- Gregorio GB 2002, Progress in Breeding for Trace Minerals in Staple Crops. J. Nutr. 132:500S-502S
- Lee KS, Choi WY, Ko JC, Kim TS, Gregorio GB 2003. Salinity tolerance of japonica and indica rice (Oryza sativa L.) at seedling stage. Planta 216:1043-1046
- Zeng L, Kwon T-R, Liu X, Wilson C, Grieve CM, Gregorio GB 2004. Genetic diversity analyzed by microsatellite markers among rice (Orayza sativa L.) genotypes with different adaptation to saline soils. Plant Science 166: 1275-1285
- Shimizu A, Guerta CQ, Gregorio GB, and Ikehashi H. 2005. Improved mass screening of tolerance to iron toxicity in rice by lowering temperature of culture solution. J. Plant Nutr. 28(9): 1481-1493. 2005.
- Haas JD, Beard JL, Murray-Kol L, del Mundo A, Felix A dR, Gregorio GB 2005. Iron-biofortified rice improves the iron status of nonanemic Filipino women. J. Nutr. 135;2823-2830.
- Ali AJ, Xu JL, Ismail AM, Fu BY, Vijaykumar CHM, Gao YM, Rey JD, Maghirang R, Yu SB, Gregorio GB, Yanagihara S, Cohen M, Mackill DJ, Li ZK 2006. Hidden diversity for abiotic stress tolerances in the primary gene pool of rice revealed by a large backcross breeding program. Field Crops Res. 97: 66-76.
- Islam MR, Salam MA, Hassan L, Collard BCY and Gregorio GB. 2007. Molecular characterization of popular rice varieties of Bangladesh. Intl. J. BioRes. 2 (1): 22-29.
- Singh RK, Gregorio GB, and Jain RK. 2007. QTL mapping for salinity tolerance in rice. Physiol. Mol. Biol Plants. 13, 87-99
- Islam MR, Salam MA, Bhuiyan MAR, Rahman MA, Yasmeen R, Rahman MS, Uddin MK, Gregorio GB and Ismail AM. 2008. BRRI Dhan47: A Salt-Tolerant Rice Variety for Boro Season Isolated Through Participatory Variety Selection. . Intl. J. BioRes. 5 (1): 1-6.
- Islam, MR, Salam MA, Bhuiyan MAR, Rahman MA and Gregorio GB. 2008. Participatory variety selection for salt-tolerant rice. Intl. J. BioRes. 4 (3): 21-25.
- Mohammadi-Nejad G, Arzani A, Rezai AM, Singh RK, Gregorio GB. 2008. Assessment of rice genotypes for salt tolerance using microsatellite markers associated with the saltol QTL. Afr J Biotechnol 7, 730-736.
- Rangan L, Rout A, Sudarshan M, Gregorio GB. 2009. Molecular cloning, expression and mapping of the translational initiation factor eIF1 gene in Oryza sativa. Functional Plant Biology 36, 442–452.