Liz led the Water Science Group at IRRI. Her research interests included:
- increasing the productivity, profitability and resilience of rice-based cropping systems in the coastal zone of the Ganges Delta – through improved water management (especially drainage), improved varieties, and cropping system intensification and diversification (including non-rice crops and aquaculture)
- development of technology packages for dry seeded rice for irrigated and partially irrigated environments across South Asia
- evaluation of crop establishment, tillage and residue management options for rice-based cropping systems
- evaluation of rice-based cropping system options and management technologies for their impacts on land and water productivity, and water savings in north west India
Liz has authored or co-authored about 50 publications in prestigious international journals, is a member of the editorial panels of Field Crops Research and Soil and Tillage, and is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Agricultural Science and Technology.
- Irrigated rice-based cropping systems (especially rice-wheat)
- Water management
- Soil, residue and nitrogen management
- PhD in Agricultural Sciences, University of Melbourne, Australia (1987)
- BAgrSc in Hons, University of Melbourne, Australia (1981)
- DipEd, University of Melbourne, Australia (1972)
- BSc in Hons (Organic Chemistry), University of Melbourne, Australia (1971)
- Senior Scientist (water science), IRRI (2009-2014)
- CPWF Theme Leader (water productivity), IRRI (2006-2009)
- Research-Senior Research-Principal Research Scientist, CSIRO Land and Water, Griffith, Australia (1990-2006)
- Research group leader (1998-2002)
- Program Manager, Co-operative Research Centre for Sustainable Rice Production (1999-2005)
- Experimental Scientist, CSIRO Plant Industry, Canberra, Australia (1986-1989)
- Experimental Scientist, CSIRO Centre for Irrigation Research, Griffith, Australia (1985-1986)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Balwinder-Singh, Eberbach, P.L., HUMPHREYS, E. and Kukal, S.S. (2011). The effect of rice straw mulch on evapotranspiration, transpiration and soil evaporation of irrigated wheat in Punjab, India. Agric. Water Manage 98, 1857-1855.
- Balwinder-Singh, HUMPHREYS, E., Eberbach, P.L, Katupitiya, A., Yadvinder-Singh and Kukal, S.S. (2011). Wheat growth, yield and water productivity as affected by rice straw mulch and irrigation. Field Crops Res. 121, 209-225.
- Sudhir-Yadav, HUMPHREYS, E., Kukal, S.S., Gurjeet Gill, and Rangarajan, R. (2010). Water balance and water productivity in dry seeded and puddled transplanted rice in Punjab, India. Field Crops Res. 120, 112-122.
- HUMPHREYS, E., Kukal, S.S., Christen, E.W, Hira, G.S., Balwinder-Singh, Sudhir-Yadav and Sharma, R.K. (2010). Halting the groundwater decline in north west india – which crop technologies will be winners? Adv. Agron. 109, 155-217
- O’Neill, C.J., HUMPHREYS, E., Louis, J. and Katupitiya, A. (2008). Maize productivity in Southern New South Wales under furrow and pressurised irrigation. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 48, 285-295.
- Sidhu H.S., Manpreet-Singh, HUMPHREYS E., Yadvinder-Singh, Balwinder-Singh, Dhillon S.S., Blackwell J., Bector V., Malkeet-Singh and Sarbjeet-Singh. (2007). The Happy Seeder enables direct drilling of wheat into rice stubble. Australian Journal of Experimental Agriculture 47, 844-854.
- Bouman, B.A.M., HUMPHREYS, E., Tuong, T.P. and Barker, R. (2007). Rice and water. Advances in Agronomy 92, 187-237.
- HUMPHREYS, E., Lewin, L.G., Khan, S., Beecher, H.G., Lacy, J., Thompson, J., Batten, G.D., Brown, A., Russell, C., Christen, E.W. and Dunn, B. (2006). Integrated approaches to increasing water productivity in rice-based systems in south east Australia. Field Crops Research 97: 19-33.
- HUMPHREYS, E., Melhuish, F.M., White, R.J.G. and Xi Zhen-bang (1991). Flood irrigation of wheat on a transitional red-brown earth soil. II. Effect of duration of ponding on availability of soil and fertilizer nitrogen. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 42, 1037-1051.
- HUMPHREYS, E., Muirhead, W.A., Melhuish, F.M., White, R.J.G. and Blackwell, J.B. (1989). The growth and nitrogen economy of rice under sprinkler and flood irrigation in south-east Australia. II. Soil moisture and mineral N transformations. Irrig. Sci. 10, 201-213.