Eero is the former head of IRRI’s Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division (PBGB) and was the global leader for GRiSP Theme 2.
Eero provided leadership for transforming rice breeding programs towards more targeted product development, which will allow IRRI to develop new rice varieties faster and more efficiently through applying new breeding strategies and tools. As the global leader for GRiSP Theme 2, Eero provided the overall leadership for accelerating the development of new rice varieties and hybrids.
- Plant breeding
- Quantitative genetics
- Molecular genetics
- PhD in Plant Breeding, University of Helsinki (UH), Helsinki, Finland (1996)
- MSc in Plant Breeding, UH, Helsinki, Findland (1990)
- Head, Plant Breeding, Genetics and Biotechnology Division, IRRI (2011-2015)
- Director, Breeding Programmes, Boreal Plant Breeding Ltd., Jokioinen, Finland (2000-2011)
- Lecturer of University of Helsinki, Department of Applied Biology / Plant Breeding
- Principal Breeder, Boreal Plant Breeding, Jokioinen, Finland (1999-2000)
- Associate Scientist in the International Plant Genetic Resources Institute, duty stations included Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Rome, Italy (1996-1999)
- Barley breeder, Boreal Plant Breeding, Jokioinen, Finland (1994-1996)
- Barley breeder, Agricultural Research Centre of Finland (1990-1993)
- Research Assistant, Agricultural Research Centre of Finland (1986-1990)
Dr. Darshan Brar, former head of IRRI's Plant Breeding, Genetics, and Biotechnology Unit and 2007 CGIAR Outstanding Scientist, describes IRRI's historical rice varieties and their impact.