Duncan was the Development Director of IRRI and Executive Director of the IRRI Foundation Hong Kong. He was focused on fund raising for food security in Asia, with a special emphasis on developing philanthropy in the region and encouraging wealthy Asians to support science and rice research. He speaks and writes widely on development issues, food security, and agriculture - especially in relation to rice in Asia and around the world.
- BA English and Agriculture, Curtin University in Western Australia
- Development Director of IRRI and Executive Director of the IRRI Fund Singapore (2007 – 2013)
- Spokesperson, IRRI, Philippines (1999-2006)
- Foreign Communications Advisor, Stock Exchange of Thailand (1997-99)
- Radio and TV journalist, Nation Media Group, Thailand (1990-97)
- Journalist, Hong Kong (1986-89)