Bhagirath’s work at IRRI was to improve weed management options for direct seeded rice in rainfed and irrigated environments. He authored over 50 scientific papers. His main research activities at IRRI were:
- Effect of environmental factors on weed seed germination and seedling emergence
- Effect of tillage systems on weed population dynamics
- Weed seedling emergence and survival in relation to water management
- Ecology of weedy rices
- Performance of available herbicides on weeds under dry direct-seeded rice
- Weed science
- PhD in Weed Science, University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (2006)
- MSc in Agronomy, CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Haryana, India (2000)
- BSc (Hons.) in Agriculture, CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Haryana, India (1998)
- Weed scientist, IRRI (2010-2014)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, IRRI (2007-2010)
- Scientist, Rice-Wheat Consortium, India (Sept 2006-Nov 2006)
- Research Associate, CCSHAU, Haryana, India (2000-2003)
- John Allwright Research Fellow (2003-2006)
- Chauhan BS. 2012. Weed ecology and weed management strategies for dry-seeded rice in Asia. Weed Technol. 26:1-13.
- Chauhan BS. 2013. Strategies to manage weedy rice in Asia. Crop Prot. 48:51-56.
- Chauhan BS, Abugho SB. 2013. Effect of crop residue on seedling emergence and growth of selected weed species in a sprinkler-irrigated zero-till dry-seeded rice system. Weed Sci. 61:403-409.
- Chauhan BS, Gill G, Preston C. 2006. Influence of tillage systems on vertical distribution, seedling recruitment and persistence of rigid ryegrass (Lolium rigidum) seed bank. Weed Sci. 54:669-676.
- Chauhan BS, Gill G, Preston C. 2006. Tillage system effects on weed ecology, herbicide activity and persistence: a review. Austr. J. Exp. Agric. 46:1557-1570.
- Chauhan BS, Johnson DE. 2009. Influence of tillage systems on weed seedling emergence pattern in rainfed rice. Soil Tillage Res. 106:15-21.
- Chauhan BS, Johnson DE. 2010. The role of seed ecology in improving weed management strategies in the tropics. Adv. Agron. 105:221-262.
- Chauhan BS, Mahajan G. 2012. Role of integrated weed management strategies in sustaining conservation agriculture systems. Curr. Sci. 103:135-136.
- Chauhan BS, Mahajan G, Sardana V, Timsina J, Jat ML. 2012a. Productivity and sustainability of the rice-wheat cropping system in the Indo-Gangetic Plains of the Indian subcontinent: problems, opportunities, and strategies. Adv. Agron. 117:315-369.
- Chauhan BS, Migo T, Westerman PR, Johnson DE. 2010. Post-dispersal predation of weed seeds in rice fields. Weed Res. 50:553-560.
- Chauhan BS, Prabhjyot-Kaur, Mahajan G, Randhawa RK, Singh H, Kang MS. 2013. Global warming and its possible impact on agriculture in India. Adv. Agron. (In press).
- Chauhan BS, Singh RG, Mahajan G. 2012b. Ecology and management of weeds under conservation agriculture: a review. Crop Prot. 38:57-65.
- Chauhan BS, Singh VP, Kumar A, Johnson DE. 2011. Relations of rice seeding rates to crop and weed growth in aerobic rice. Field Crops Res. 121:105-115.
- Mahajan G, Chauhan BS. 2013. The role of cultivars in managing weeds in dry-seeded rice production systems. Crop Prot. 49:52-57.
- Mahajan G, Chauhan BS, Gill MS. 2013. Dry-seeded rice culture in Punjab state of India: lessons learned from farmers. Field Crops Res. 144:89-99.
- Mahajan G, Singh S, Chauhan BS. 2012. Impact of climate change on weeds in the rice-wheat cropping system. Curr. Sci. 102:1254-1255.