Valerien is primarily leading the CCAFS flagship project “Policy Information and Response Platform on Climate Change and Rice in ASEAN and Its Member Countries (PIRCCA)”.
His main responsibilities in the Social Sciences Division at IRRI include quantitative analysis and research on micro-aspects of rice economics; designing estimation procedures for primary survey data analysis; and conducting impact assessment. He also provides assistance research staff on the applications of econometric techniques.
- Theory and practice of Spatial Econometrics
- Quantitative analysis on micro-aspects of rice economics
- Impact assessment, technology evaluation
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, USA (2009)
- MS in Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, University of Arkansas, USA (2005)
- Ingenieur Agro-economiste in Agricultural Economics, National University of Benin, Benin (2001)
- Outstanding Graduate Student Award, Department of Agricultural Economics and Agribusiness, University of Arkansas (2005)
- Graduate Student Paper Competition Finalist, 55th Annual North American Meetings of the Regional Science Association International, Brooklyn, New York (2008)
- Gamma Sigma Delta Honor Society, College of Agriculture, Purdue University (2007)
- Outstanding Member of MANRRS Chapter, University of Arkansas, Fayetteville (2005)
- Graduate Students Oral Presentation, Third Place, 20th Annual Conference of Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences (MANRRS), Pittsburg, Pennsylvania (2005)
- Agricultural and Applied Economics Association
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Yorobe, Jose Jr; Valerien O. Pede, Rejesus, Roderick; Velarde, Orlee; Wang, Huaiyu and Ali, Jauhar (forthcoming) Yield and Income Effects of the Green Super Rice (GSR) Varieties: Evidence from a Fixed-Effects Model in the Philippines”, Agricultural Economics.
- Tsusaka Takuji, Kajisa Kei, Valerien O. Pede, Aoyagi Keitaro (forthcoming). “Neighborhood effects and social behavior: The case of irrigated and rainfed farmers in Bohol, the Philippines”, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization.
- Joyce Luis, Thelma Paris, Fay-Rola Rubzen and Valerien O. Pede (forthcoming) “ Rural Labor Out-migration and Gender Dimension in an Assessment of Farm Technical Efficiency: A Case Study in Selected Rice Villages in the Philippines”, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development.
- Valerien O. Pede, Raymond J.G.M Florax and Dayton Lambert (2014) “Spatial Econometrics STAR Models: Lagrange Multiplier tests, Monte Carlo Simulations and an Empirical Application”, Regional Sciences and Urban Economics 49, 118–128.
- Patrick, S. Ward and Valerien O. Pede (2014) “Capturing Social Network Eﬀects in Technology Adoption: the Spatial Diﬀusion of Hybrid Rice in Bangladesh”, Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics 58, 1–17.
- James R. Quilty, Justin McKinley, Valerien O. Pede, Roland J. Buresh, Teodoro Q. Correa Jr., Joseph M. Sandro (2014) “Energy Efficiency of Rice Production in Farmers’ Fields and Intensively Cropped Research Fields in the Philippines”, Field Crop Research, 168, 8-18.
- Valerien O. Pede (2013) “Regional Economic Diversity and Regional Economic Growth: Evidence from US Counties”, Journal of Economic Development 38, 111–127.
- Valerien O. Pede, Thelma Paris, Joyce Luis, and Justin D. McKinley. “Determinants of Household Income: A Quantile Regression Approach for Four Rice-Producing Areas in the Philippines”, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Development.
- Gustavo Barboza and Valerien O. Pede (2012) “A Spatial Econometrics Analysis of Cultural Dimensions, Technology Knowledge and Economic Growth”, Review of Development Economics, 16 (2): 262–275.
- Axel Tonini and Valerien O. Pede (2011) “A Time-varying Stochastic Frontier Model Accounting for Spatial Dependency: a Generalized Maximum Entropy Application Measuring Productivity”, Entropy 13, 1916–1927.
- Todd H. Kuethe and Valerien O. Pede (2010), “Regional Housing Price Cycles: A Spatio-Temporal Analysis using U.S. State Level Data”, Regional Studies 45(5):563–574.
- Valerien O. Pede and Andrew McKenzie (2009), “Integration in Benin Maize Market: an Application of Threshold Cointegration Analysis.”, Journal of International Agricultural Trade and Development 5(1):12–146.
- Valerien O. Pede, Raymond J.G.M. Florax, and Henri L.F. de Groot (2008), “Technological Leadership, Human Capital and Economic Growth: A Spatial Econometric Analysis for U.S. Counties, 1969 – 2003” Annals of Economics and Statistics No. 87-88:103–124.
- Valerien O. Pede, Justin D. Mckinley, Raman Sharma and Anurag Kumar (2012). “Guidance and Technology: An assessment of Project Intervention and Promoted technologies”, Global Science and Technology Business Review, Vol 2 No 2.
- Khong Tien Dung, Zenaida M. Sumalde, Valerien O. Pede, Justin D. McKinley, Yolanda T. Garcia, and Amelia L. Bello (2011), “Technical Efficiency of Resource Conserving Technologies in Rice Wheat Systems: Case of Bihar and Eastern Uttar Pradesh in India”, Agricultural Economics Research Review Vol 24 (2): 201-210.
Dr. Valerien Pede
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna