Hung is a research scientist working on rice postharvest and byproduct management, belonging to the postharvest and mechanization group of IRRI. He is currently a key research scientist of the following projects:
- BMZ-IRRI rice straw management project (2016-2019)
- Rice straw Bioenergy Project funded by the SUPERGEN of the UK (2013-2016)
- Drying technology
- Postharvest and by-product management and Lifecycle assessment (LCA)
- Doctor of Philosophy,University of Agriculture in Slovakia. Major field: Agricultural engineering. Minor field: Statistics (2003)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Honor), University of Agriculture and Forestry of Ho Chi Minh city. Major field: Agricultural machinery (1995)
- Research Scientist, International Rice Research Institute (November 2016 - present)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, researching on renewable energy from rice residues, International Rice Research Institute (December 2013 - November 2016)
- Associate Professor in Agricultural Machinery, Nong Lam University - Vietnam (2012 - present)
- Coordinator, ADB-IRRI-Vietnam post harvest Project (2012 - 2014)
- Head of Deparment of Mechatronics, Nong Lam University (2005 - 2013)
- Lecturer of the Faculty of Engineering, Nong Lam university (1995 - present)
- “Academic Excellence” by the Ministry of Education and Training, Vietnamese Government, 2006-2010.
- “Academic Excellence” in 2007 by Hochiminh City Authority, Vietnam Government, 2009.
- Vietnam Techmart Gold cup, 2009.
- Labor Creation Certificate, 2008.
- Vietnam Technology Creation, 2007.
- Vietnam Techmart Gold Cup, 2007.
- Member of the committee of the Industry and Atomization program of Hochiminh city, Vietnam (2011- present)
- Member of the academic committee of the Faculty of Engineering & Technology, Nong Lam University (2005 onwards)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Nguyen V.H., Nguyen D.C., Tran V.T., Hau D.H., Gummert M. Energy Efficiency, Greenhouse Gas Emissions, and Cost of Rice Straw Collection in the Mekong River Delta of Vietnam. Field crops research, 198:16-22.
- Nguyen V.H., Topno, S., Balingbing, C., Nguyen V.C.N, Roder M., Quilty, J., Jamieson C., Thornley P., Gummert M., 2016. Generating a positive energy balance from using rice straw for anaerobic digestion. Energy Reports, 2016(2):117-122.
- Nguyen V.H., Carlito B., Quilty J., Bojern S., Demont M., Gummert M., 2016. Processing rice straw and rice husk as co-products, in Achieving sustainable cultivation of rice – 2016 (Vol 2). Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing. https://shop.bdspublishing.com/checkout/Store/bds/Detail/Product/3-190-9781786760289-010.
- Nguyen V.H., Duong T.H., Gummert M., 2016. Building a model for the paddy columnar dryer and analyzing a reverse-airflow approach to achieve uniform grain temperature. International Agricultural Enegineering Journal. 2016, 25(1): 64-73.
- Nguyen Duc Canh, Nguyen Thanh Nghi, and Nguyen Van Hung, 2016. Parameters Effecting on Head Brown Rice Recovery and Energy Consumption of Rubber Roll and Stone Disk Dehusking. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology B 2015(5): 383-388.
- Nguyen Thanh Nghi, Nguyen Duc Canh, Hau Duc Hoa, Nguyen Van Hung, and Martin Gummert, 2016. Technical, Economic and Environmental Evaluation on Mechanical Rice Straw Gathering Method. Journal of Environmental Science and Engineering B 2015 (4): 614-619.
- Dao Duy Vinh, Nguyen Van Hung, Dang Thien Ngon and Tran Minh Loc, 2014. Design and fabrication of a laser-surface transmitter applying for the laser-controlled land leveling system. The 7th Vietnam conference on Mechatronics. https://vcm2014.lhu.edu.vn/624/25888/Proceeding.html
- Tran Van Tuan, Nguyen Van Hung, Nguyen Van Xuan, Nguyen Hung Tam, Le Quang Vinh, Truong Quang Truong, Phan Hieu Hien, 2013. Design and development of the 10-ton/batch columnar paddy dryer. Proceeding of International Workshop on Agricultural Engineering and Post-harvest Technology for Asia sustainability. Science and Technics Publishing House, Page 152-163.
- Nguyen Van Hung, Nguyen Dang Tuan Kiet, 2011. Designing – Manufacturing of Heat Pump Dryer and Testing with “Gia Huong” Banana. International Journal of Advanced Scientific and Technical Research. Volume 1, ISSN 2249-9954. P121-126.
- Nguyen Van Hung, Tran Thi Kim Nga, Tran Minh Loc, 2011. The solution and Program of multivariable simulation – applying for some agricultural mechanical studies. Journal of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, ISSN: 1859-1523, No. 4/2010, page 128-130.
- Nguyen Van Hung – Đang Van Hai. 2011. Investigation of Optimizing Parameters for Drying Membrane of Momordica Cochinchinensis by Heat Pump Dryer. Journal of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, ISSN: 1859-1523, No. 3/2011, P. 81-86.
- Nguyen Van Hung – Nguyen Duc Canh – Dang Minh Phuong. 2011. Controlling the husking effectiveness of rubber roller huskers. Journal of Agricultural Sciences and Technology, ISSN: 1859-1523, No. 4/2011, p. 61-64.
Nguyen Van Hung
Research scientist - Rice Postharvest and Byproduct Engineering
International Rice Research Institute,
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600