Nese has 15 years of research experience in plant functional genomics of seed biology. Since 2013, he heads IRRI's Grain Quality and Nutrition Center and manages research programs on grain quality. He provides scientific leadership for IRRI's research on the physical, sensory, cooking and nutritional qualities of rice grain. Leading a team of more than 30 staff members, he is currently focused on exploring the untapped genetic diversity to address grain quality in rice using multidisciplinary genomics strategy.
Nese is responsible for ensuring that grain quality and nutrition research, as well as analytical services, are fully integrated in IRRI's varietal improvement programs to create product-oriented breeding pipelines that meet the demands of rice farmers, millers, processors, and consumers.
Nese's published work has gained scientific impact (H-index) value of 24. He has over 55 scientific papers published in higher impact peer-reviewed scientific journals. He has written 18 different book chapters. He serves as an associate editor of BMC Plant Biology and as reviewer for more than 20 scientific journals. Nese also reviews grant applications for US National Science Foundation (NSF), Bundesministerium für Bildung und Forschung (BMBF), and The French National Research Agency (ANR).
- PhD in Seed Biology, Martin Luther University, Halle, Germany (2002)
- MPhil in Seed Technology, University of Mysore, India (1996)
- MSc in Botany, Sri Krishnadevaraya University, India (1995)
- Head, Grain Quality and Nutrition Center, IRRI (2013-present)
- Group Leader, Stress Genomics Group, Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (2010-2012)
- Project Leader, Leibniz Institute of Plant Genetics and Crop Plant Research (2007-2010)
- Adjunct Senior Lecturer, University of Western Australia (2009-2012)
- DAAD Fellow (1998)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Wobus, U. (2013). "Seed development programs: A systems biology-based comparison between dicots and monocots", Annual Review of Plant Biology, vol. 64, pp. 189-217.
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Schnurbusch, T. 2012, "A genetic playgrounnd for enhancing grain number in cereals', Trends in Plant Science, vol. 61, no. 2, pp. 767-101.
- Seiler, C. and Harshavardhan, V.T. and Rajesh, K. and Reddy, P.S. and Strickert, M. and Rolletschek, H. and Scholz, U. and Wobus, U. and Sreenivasulu, N. (2011). "ABA" biosynthesis and degradation contributing to ABA homeostasis during barley seed development under control and terminal drought-stress conditions", Journal of Experimental Botany, vol. 62, no. 8, pp. 2615-2632.
- Worch, S. and Rajesh, K. and Harshavardhan, V.T. and Pietsch, C. and Korzun, V. and Kuntze, L. and Börner, A. and Wobus, U. and Röder, M.S. and Sreenivasulu, N. (2011). "Haplotyping, linkage mapping and expression analysis of barley genes regulated by terminal drought stress influencing seed quality", BMC PLant Biology, vol. 11
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Borisjuk, L. and Junker, B.H. and Mock, H.P. and Rolletschek, H. and Seiffert, U. and Weschke, W. and Wobus, U. (2010). "Barley grain development: Toward an integrative view", International Review of Cell and Molecular Biology, vol. 281, no. C, pp. 49-89.
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Radchuk, V. and Alawady, A. and Borisjuk, L. and Weier, D. and Staroske, N. and Fuchs, J. and Miersch, O. and Strickert, M. and Usadel, B. and Wobus, U. and Grimm, B. and Weber, H. and Weber, H. and Weschke, W., (2010). "De-regulation of abscisic acid contents causes abnormal endosperm development in the barley mutant seg8", Plant Journal, vol. 64, no. 4, pp. 589-603.
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Usadel, B. and Winter, A. and Radchuk, V. and Scholz, U. and Stein, N. and Weschke, W. and Strickert, M. and Close, T.J. and Stitt, M. and Graner, A. and Wobus, U., (2008). "Barley grain maturation and germination: Metabolic pathway and regulatory network commonalities and differences highlighted by new MapMan/PageMan profiling tolls", Plant Physiology, vol. 146, no. 4, pp. 1738-1758.
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Sopory, S.K. and Kavi Kishor, P.B., (2007). "Deciphering the regulatory mechanisms of abiotic stress tolerance in plants by genomic approaches", Gene, vol. 388, no. 1-2, pp. 1-13.
- Sreenivasulu, N. and Radchuk, V. and Strickert, M. and Miersch, O. and Weschke, W. and Wobus, U., (2006). "Gene expression patterns reveal tissue-specific signaling networks controlling programmed cell death and ABA-regulated maturation in developing barley seeds", Plant Journal, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 310-327.
- Zhang, H. and Sreenivasulu, N. and Weschke, W. and Stein, N. and Rudd, S. and Radchuk, V. and Potonika, E. and Scholz, U. and Schweizer, P. and Zierod, U. and Langridge, P. and Varshney, R.K. and Wobus, U. and Graner, A., (2004). "Large-scale analysis of the barley transcriptome based on expressed sequence tags", Plant Journal, vol. 40, no. 2, pp. 276-290.
Dr. Nese Sreenivasulu
Head, Grain Quality and Nutrition Center (GQNC)
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600