Matty joined IRRI in 2013 as a senior economist and currently leads the newly created market and value chain research team (MRT) that aims at making IRRI’s research more market-driven. Matty’s team provides research support in product profiling and market segmentation to the newly restructured breeding program, post-harvest and other product development programs. This will enable IRRI and rice value chain stakeholders to proactively adjust their focus and steer markets when new opportunities arise for reducing poverty and improving nutrition in Asia, and East and Southern Africa. Priority countries are the Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, India and Bangladesh.
He has authored or co-authored 40 peer-reviewed scientific papers, 4 books and 24 book chapters on various topics such as experimental value chain and consumer analysis, development policy, impact assessment of biotic constraints, new technologies and innovations, and coexistence and evolution of farming systems. He has also written 183 proceedings of conferences, reports, policy briefs and other articles.
- Experimental value chain research
- Consumer economics
- Food quality, labeling and branding
- Market research
- Development policy
- Impact Assessment
- PhD in Agricultural Economics, University of Leuven, Belgium (2006)
- MSc in Tropical Agriculture, Montpellier SupAgro, France (1998)
- MSc in Agricultural Economics & Tropical Agriculture, University of Leuven, Belgium (1997)
- Senior Economist, Market Research & Value Chain Specialist, IRRI (2013 – present)
- Principal Value Chain Economist, AfricaRice, Senegal (2009–2013)
- Associate Agricultural Economist, AfricaRice, Senegal (2007–2009)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Leuven, Belgium (2006–2007)
- Doctoral Researcher, University of Leuven, Belgium (2002–2006)
- Research Fellow, Flanders Interuniversity Institute for Biotechnology (VIB), Belgium (1999–2002)
- Louis Malassis International Scientific Prize for experimental rice value chain research in Africa, Agropolis Fondation, Montpellier, France (2012 recipient)
- Theodore W. Schultz Award for the paper “Experimental Auctions, Collective Induction and Choice Shift: Willingness-to-Pay for Rice Quality in Senegal,” International Association of Agricultural Economists (IAAE) (2012 recipient)
- Ecological Economics (2008) article “Regulating Coexistence in Europe: Beware of the Domino-Effect!” ranked among the “Most influential studies in the field of environmental and ecological economics” [Ecological Economics (2012), vol. 77: p. 199]
- Four Merit Bonuses Awarded for Outstanding Scientific Performance, AfricaRice (2010–2013)
- Two Best Paper Awards, Africa Rice Congress (2010 recipient)
- Xavier Bernard Award for MSc Thesis, French Academy of Agriculture (1999 recipient)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Demont, M., Fiamohe, R.E., & Kinkpé, A.T. 2017. “Comparative Advantage in Demand and the Development of Rice Value Chains in West Africa.” World Development, in press.
- Demont, M. & Rutsaert, P. 2017. “Restructuring the Vietnamese Rice Sector: Towards Increasing Sustainability.” Sustainability, 9(2):325.
- De Steur, H., Demont, M., Gellynck, X. & Stein, A. 2017. “The Social and Economic Impact of Biofortification through Genetic Modification.” Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 44:161–168.
- Custodio, C., Demont, M., Laborte, A. & Ynion, J. 2016. “Increasing Food Security in Asia through Consumer-focused Rice Breeding.” Global Food Security, 9:19–28.
- Rodenburg, J., Demont, M., Zwart, S.J. & Bastiaans, L. 2016. “Parasitic Weed Incidence and Related Economic Losses in Rice in Africa.” Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 235:306–317.
- Demont, M. & Ndour, M. 2015. “Upgrading Rice Value Chains: Experimental Evidence from 11 African Markets.” Global Food Security, 5: 70-76.
- Demont, M. 2013. “Reversing Urban Bias in African Rice Markets: A Review of 19 National Rice Development Strategies.” Global Food Security, 2:172–181.
- Demont, M. & Stein, A. 2013. “Global Value of GM Rice: A Review of Expected Agronomic and Consumer Benefits.” New Biotechnology, 30(5):426–436.
- Demont, M., Rutsaert, P., Ndour, M. & Verbeke, W. 2013. “Reversing Urban Bias in African Rice Markets: Evidence from Senegal.” World Development, 45:63–74.
- Demont, M., Rutsaert, P., Ndour, M., Verbeke, W., Seck, P.A. & Tollens, E. 2013. “Experimental Auctions, Collective Induction and Choice Shift: Willingness-to-pay for Rice Quality in Senegal.” European Review of Agricultural Economics, 40(2):261–286.
Dr. Matty Demont
Senior Scientist I - Market Research and Value Chain
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600