Joseph coordinates and leads all IRRI’s research and capacity building in Burundi. This includes initiating and managing numerous field sites for testing locally-adapted potential new rice varieties for the country. He also coordinates Farmer Field Schools where Burundian farmers are trained in all aspects of rice production from land preparation through to harvesting.
He liaises closely with the Burundian government to maintain relationships and identify further areas of collaboration. Also, to support the development of the rice sector in Burundi.
Joseph also still teaches plant pathology and genetics at the University of Burundi to maintain his connections there and share his knowledge.
- Plant pathology
- Plant genetics
- Field trials installation
- FFS (Farmer Field Schools)
- PVS (Participatory Variety Selection)
- PhD in Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences, Faculty of Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences, Ghent University, Belgium (2000)
- Agricultural Engineer, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Burundi (1993)
- Regional Coordinator for East and Southern Africa (ESA) (April 2013-present)
- Liaison Scientist and Coordinator, International Rice Research Institute, Burundi (2009-2013)
- Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Burundi (2008-2010)
- Professor, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, University of Burundi (2007-2010)
- Post doctoral fellow, rice diseases, International Centre for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (ICGEB), Italy (2006-2007)
- Post doctoral fellow, rice diseases –, Ghent University, with financial support of Bayer Cropscience (2001-2006)
- Assistant-Professor, Department of Crop Protection, Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Burundi University (1994-1996)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Mattiuzzo, M., Bertani, I., Ferluga, S., Cabrio, L., Bigirimana, J., Guarnaccia, C., Pongor, S., Maraite, H. and Venturi, V. (2011). The plant pathogen Pseudomonas fuscovaginae contains two conserved quorum sensing systems involved in virulence and negatively regulated by RsaL and the novel regulator RsaM. Environmental Microbiology 13(1), 145–162
- Degrassi, G., Devescovi, G., Bigirimana, J., and Venturi, V. (2010). Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae XKK.12 contains an AroQγ chorismate mutase that is involved in rice virulence. Phytopathology 100:262-270.
- Steindler, L., Bertani, I., De Sordi, L., Bigirimana, J., and Venturi, V. (2008). The presence, type and role of N-acetyl homoserine lactone quorum sensing in fluorescent Pseudomonas originally isolated from rice rhizospheres are unpredictable. Federation of European Microbiological Societies-Microbiology Letters 288, 102-111
- Devescovi, G., Bigirimana, J. , Degrassi, G., Cabrio, L., Lipuma, J., Kim, J., Hwang, I., and Venturi, V. (2007). Involvement of a quorum sensing regulated lipase secreted by a clinical isolate of Burholderia glumae in severe disease symptoms in rice. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73, 4950-4958
- Ferluga, S., Bigirimana, J., Höfte, M., Venturi, V. (2007). A LuxR homologue of Xanthomonas oryzae pv. oryzae is required for optimal virulence on rice. Mol. Plant Pathol. 8, 529-538
- Ninh Thuan, N. T., Bigirimana, J., Roumen, E., Van Der Straeten, D. and Höfte, M. (2006). Molecular and pathotype analysis of the rice blast fungus in North Vietnam. European Journal of Plant Pathology. 114: 381-396
- Horvath G., Wessjohann L., Bigirimana J., Monica H., Jansen M., Guisez Y., Caubergs R., Horemans N. (2006). Accumulation of tocopherols and tocotrienols during seed development of grape (Vitis vinifera L. cv. Albert Lavallée). Plant physiology and biochemistry, 44:724-731
- Horvath G., Wessjohann L., Bigirimana J., Jansen M., Guisez Y., Caubergs R., Horemans N. (2006). Differential distribution of tocopherols and tocotrienols in photosynthetic and non-photosynthetic tissues. Phytochemistry, 67(12): 1185-1195
- Ninh Thuan, N. T., Bigirimana, J., Roumen, E., Höfte, M. and Van Der Straeten, D. (2003). Genetic analysis of resistance to blast in the Vietnamese rice cultivar “Chiembac”. Communications in Agricultural and Applied Biological Sciences 68/2(b):375-380
- Bigirimana, J. and Höfte, M. (2002). Induction of systemic resistance to Colletotrichum lindemuthianum in bean by a benzothiadiazole derivative and rhizobacteria. Phytoparasitica 30 (2): 159-168
Regional Coordinator, IRRI-East and Southern Africa
IRRI c/o Faculty of Agricultural Sciences
University of Burundi
B.P. 5132 Bujumbura, Burundi
+257 777 88232