A rice farmer’s life
50 years of IR8 | Photo contest
It has been said that farming sowed the seeds of great civilizations. Today, even the most modern metropolis will crumble if all the farmers in the world suddenly vanished. Rice farmers are particularly important because more than 3.5 billion people depend on them for food.
The challenge is to capture the noble work of rice farmers through your camera lens.
- The photo contest is open to all, except for IRRI employees and their immediate family members.
- All entries must be submitted during the contest period—from 2 November to 25 November 2016—using the form below. Multiple entries per individual is allowed.
- Photos must not have been previously published anywhere else online or in print.
- Submitted photos should be in .jpeg format and have at least 300 dpi.
- Submitted photos without a caption will be disqualified.
- Only minimal post-processing is allowed (i.e., cropping, adjusting of exposure and contrast). Using in-phone editing apps is allowed.
- Use landscape or horizontal orientation as much as possible.
- All submissions will be under the Creative Commons license. Submissions should have an accompanying signed note that emphasizes that the photo is owned by the submitter and that he/she is giving IRRI permission to publish his/her photo at the IRRI website and on any other medium for the duration of the contest.
- All accepted entries will be featured and published at the IRRI website and the IRRI Facebook page with the photographer’s byline, short profile, and photo.
- Announcement of winners will be on 9 December 2016.
- 1st prize: Asus ZenFone 3 Laser
- 2nd prize: IRRI jacket plus merchandise
- 3rd prize: IRRI field vest plus merchandise
Criteria for judging:
- Relevance to the theme 30%
- Technical (composition, exposure) 20%
- Aesthetics (color, angle) 20%
- Image impact 20%
- Facebook likes 10%