(Revised August 2013)
(As of August 2013)
Healthier rice for healthier people
Frequently asked questions | Resources | Links
Frequently asked questions on Golden Rice
Here are answers to common questions about Golden Rice and links to relevant scientific resources from organizations working on vitamin A deficiency, plant breeding, and genetic modification.
Feel free to contact us if you need additional information on any of these topics, or join the Golden Rice discussion at IRRI's facebook page.
Golden Rice and vitamin A deficiency
The Golden Rice Project / Others
Here are links to key research studies and other resources on Golden Rice:
- Tang, G., Y. Hu, S. Yin, Y. Wang, G. Dallal, M. Grusak, and R. Russell. 2012. Beta carotene in Golden Rice is as good as beta carotene in oil at providing vitamin A to children. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96(3)658–664.
- Black RE et al. 2008. Maternal and child undernutrition: global and regional exposures and health consequences. The Lancet 371(9608):253.
- Paine JA et al. 2005. Improving the nutritional value of Golden Rice through increased pro-vitamin A content. Nature Biotechnology 23:482–487.
- Tang G, Qin J, Dolnikowski GG, Russel RM, Grusak MA. 2009. Golden Rice is an effective source of vitamin A. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 89:1776–83.
- West KP, Klemm RDW, Sommer A. 2010. Vitamin A saves lives, sound policy, sound science [Commentary]. World Nutrition 1(5):211-229.
- Whitcher JP, Srinivasan M, Upadhyay MP. 2001. Corneal blindness: a global perspective. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 79(3):217.
- World Health Organization Global Database on Vitamin A Deficiency. 2009. Global prevalence of vitamin A deficiency in populations at risk, 1995–2005. Geneva: WHO.
- Xudong Y et al. 2000. Engineering the provitamin A (ß-carotene) biosynthetic pathway into (carotenoid-free) rice endosperm. Science 287(5451):303–305.
- Barry G. 2011. Golden Rice - fighting vitamin A deficiency in the Philippines and Bangladesh. Powerpoint presentation presented during the seminar Leveraging Agriculture to Improve Human Nutrition: Prospects for Golden Rice organized by the International Food Policy Research Institute held on 14 April 2011. Washington, DC. [Watch video on www.youtube.com]
Golden Rice information from others:
Related IRRI links