Here are answers to common questions about Golden Rice and links to relevant scientific resources from organizations working on vitamin A deficiency, plant breeding, and genetic modification.
Feel free to contact us if you need additional information on any of these topics, or join the Golden Rice discussion at IRRI's Facebook page.
- How much Golden Rice would you need to eat to prevent vitamin A deficiency?
- Is Golden Rice proven to reduce vitamin A deficiency and its health consequences like blindness?
- Why do we need Golden Rice that is genetically modified? Couldn't we use traditional breeding methods instead?
- Why focus on rice to address vitamin A deficiency?
- Why is Golden Rice needed if there are other ways to address vitamin A deficiency?
- Why is Golden Rice needed in the Philippines since vitamin A deficiency is already decreasing?
- Can you overdose on vitamin A from eating a lot of Golden Rice?
- Does Golden Rice contain daffodil genes?
- Is Golden Rice safe?
- What food safety assessments have been done for Golden Rice?
- What impact will Golden Rice have on biodiversity in the places where it is grown? Will it endanger wild rice varieties?
- What safety studies are being done for Golden Rice?
- Why are field tests necessary?
- Why are human nutrition studies on Golden Rice necessary? What have they shown?
- Will Golden Rice be tested on animals?