Sudhir leads IRRI’s research in the design, evaluation and dissemination of technologies to optimize productivity of rice agri-food systems, with particular interest on water management. He is involved to conduct and support adaptive and future systems research activities in South and South East Asia with particular emphasis on water management solutions.
Sudhir was born in a rural area in Rajasthan, India. He began his career in 2005 at Punjab Agricultural University in India as a research fellow in a project funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR) on permanent beds for rice-wheat systems. He received a John Allwright Fellowship in 2007 to pursue his PhD in The University of Adelaide, South Australia. His PhD project was on water balance components in rice under different establishment methods. After finishing his PhD, he worked for IRRI as a postdoctoral fellow in from 2011-2013 to work in a project funded by the International Fund for Agricultural Development on accelerating resource conserving technologies in the Indo-Gangetic Plains. In August, 2013, Sudhir joined IRRI as Irrigated System Agronomist to work on water management in South Asia.
- Water management
- System Agronomy
- PhD in Water management, The University of Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (2011)
- MSc in Agronomy, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India (2005)
- BSc in Hons. Agriculture, CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Haryana, India (2003)
- Scientist II, IRRI (2015-present)
- Scientist I, IRRI (2013-2015)
- Post Doctoral Fellow, IRRI (2011-2013)
- Research Fellow, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India (2005-2007)
- John Allwright Research Fellowship, ACIAR, Australia (2007-2011)
- Junior Research Fellowship, ICAR, India (2003-2005)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Balwinder-Singh, E. Humphreys, Sudhir-Yadav and D.S. Gaydon (2015) Options for productivity of the rice–wheat system of north-west India while reducing groundwater depletion. Part 1. Rice variety duration, sowing date and inclusion of mungbean. Field Crops Research 173, 68-80.
- Sudhir-Yadav, G. Evangelista, J. Faronilo, E. Humphreys, A. Establishment method effects on crop performance and water productivity of irrigated rice in the tropics. Field Crops Research 166, 112-127.
- Sudhir-Yadav, E.Humphreys, S.S.Kukal, Gurjeet Gill, and R. Rangarajan (2011). Effect of water management on dry seeded and puddled transplanted rice Part 2: Water balance and water productivity. Field Crops Research 120, 123-132.
- Sudhir-Yadav, Tao Li, E. Humphreys, Gurjeet Gill and S.S.Kukal (2011) Evaluation and application of ORYZA2000 for irrigation scheduling of puddled transplanted rice in North West India. Field Crops Research 122, 104-117.
- Kukal S.S, Sudhir-Yadav, E. Humphreys, Amanpreet-Kaur, Yadvinder-Singh and S. Thaman, B. Singh, J. Timsina (2010). Factor affecting irrigation water savings in raised beds in rice and wheat. Field Crops Research 118, 43-50.
- Humphreys, E., Kukal, S.S., Christen, E.W., Balwinder-Singh, Sudhir-Yadav, Sharma, R.K., 2010. Halting the ground water decline in north-west India - which crop technologies will be winners? Advances in Agronomy 109, 155-217.
Dr. Sudhir Yadav
Irrigated Systems Agronomist
Crop and Environmental Sciences Division
International Rice Research Institute
Mailing address: DAPO 7777 Metro Manila, Philippines
+63 2 580 5600