Martin is leading a team that identifies new postharvest technologies and management options for harvesting, threshing, drying, storage, milling and marketing. His team verifies these in collaboration with national partners at first adopter end users level, assists in adaptation to local conditions, and facilitates partnerships for disseminating these technologies and management options to the end users.
Currently he is leading the postproduction activities and researches of Closing the Rice Yield Gap and Reducing Ecological Footprints (CORIGAP) project under the Irrigated Rice Research Consortium (IRRC). Partner countries for postproduction activities are Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam and the Philippines.
- Postharvest technology
- Agricultural engineering
- Small and medium industry promotion
- Information electronics
- Facilitating multi stakeholder platforms
- Dipl. Ing. agr. MSc in Agricultural Engineering, Hohenheim University, Germany (1991)
- Information electronics, Robert Bosch GmbH, Stuttgart Feuerbach, Germany
- Senior Scientist Postharvest Development, IRRI (2009-present)
- International Research Fellow, Postharvest Development, IRRI (2003-2008)
- Freelance consultant (2002-2003)
- Team Leader of the Indonesian – German Government Co-operation project Assistance to the Indonesian Agricultural Machinery Industry (ATIAMI) (1997-2001)
- Project coordinator, GTY project “Postharvest Technologies for Rice in the Humid Tropics”, IRRI (1993-1997)
- Researcher and project coordinator, Postharvest Technologies, Hohenheim University and IRRI (1991-1992)
- Researcher, instrumentation design for postharvest technology, Hohenheim University (1990)
- Apprentice, Information electronics, Robert Bosch GmbH (1976-1979)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Douthwaite, B. and M. Gummert (2009). "Learning Selection Revisited: How can Agricultural Researchers make a Difference?" Agricultural Systems 103(2010).
- Gummert, M., C. Balingbing, et al. (2009). "Management options, technologies and strategies for minimized mycotoxin contamination of rice." World Mycotoxin Journal 2(2): 151-159.
- Haefele, S. M., C. Knoblauch, M. Gummet, Y. Konboon, and S. Koyama (2008). Black carbon (bio-char) in rice-based systems: characteristics and opportunities. Terra Preta Nova: A Tribute to Wim Sombroek. W. I. Woods, W. Teixeira, J. Lehmann, C. Steiner and W. A., Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrech.
- Mueller, J. and M. Gummert (2007). Agricultural Engineering in Tropics/Subtropics. Yearbook Agricultural Engineering. H. Harms and F. Meier. Muenster, LandwirtschaftsvSaveerlag GmbH, VDMA Landtechnik, VDI-MEG, KTBL. 19: 211-215.
- Gummert, M., J. Rickman, et al. (2006). Hermetically sealed storage systems for farmers and rice millers. Science, technology, trade and peace for prosperity. Proceedings of the 26th International Rice Conference, 9-12 October 2006, New Delhi, India.
- Gummert, M. (2003). Assessment of the Agro-Industrial Situation in Cambodia. Phnom Penh, Munich, Support Programme for the Agricultural Sector in Cambodia, PRASAC II.
- Rachmat, R., Sudaryono, Lubis, S. Rickman, J. F. Nagraha, S. Gummert, M. Thahir, R.. (2008). "Field application of modified low cost dryers for rice seed drying - a case study in West Java and Central Java, Indonesia." AMA (Agric. Mech. Asia, Afr. Lat. Am.) 39(1): 46-48.
Engr. Martin Gummert
Senior Scientist II, Postharvest Unit
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 2 580 5600