Guru is a senior scientist and the overall in-charge of Research Infrastructure and Operations function at IRRI. He oversees transgenic stewardship, the Lloyd T. Evans Plant Growth Facility Center, the Seed Health Unit, operational efficiency, research infrastructures, health and safety, and special projects like solar energy, and mechanization at IRRI.
- Product Registration (Agro-Chemicals and Seed Varieties/Hybrids)
- Regulatory Affairs (Seeds, Agro-Chemicals, Biotechnology)
- Research Infrastructure Management (Consolidation of Research facilities, Enhancing the Efficiencies, Enhancing Glass House Management standards etc)
- Research Operations (Mechanization, Statutory laws, Data capturing etc)
- Transgenic Stewardship (Developing and Implementing global standards)
- OHSE aspects (Enhancing the standards and adopting reporting systems)
- Mechanization to suit research field operations.
- Plant variety Protection and IPR Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Rights (PGDIPR) from Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi (2009)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Entomology from CCS Haryana Agricultural University, Hisar, Haryana India (2001)
- Masters In Agricultural Entomology from University of Agricultural Sciences Dharward (1997)
- Bachelors in Agriculture from University of Agricultural Sciences Dharward (1995)
- Senior Scientist and Head of Operational Unit, Research infrastructure and Operations, IRRI, Los Banos, Laguna Philippines. (2016 to till)
- Head of Research &ersand; Development Infrastructure, South Asia covering all the crops at Syngenta India Limited, Pune, India. (2015-16)
- Lead - Research &ersand; Development Operations at Syngenta India (2012-15)
- Regional Plant Variety Protection/ Registration Expert, Asia Pacific Region at Syngenta. (2010-12)
- Manager – Product Registration &ersand; PVP, South Asia at Syngenta. (2006-10)
- Manager – Registration and Regulatory Affairs at Bayer CropScience, Delhi &ersand; Mumbai (2001-06)
- Senior Executive – Biological Development at Bayer India Limited at Hisar (1999-2001)
- Best Researcher Award from Syngenta Research Function during 2015.
- Best Regulatory team member award from Bayer CropScience during 2005.
- Senior Research Fellow award from Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) in 2000.
- Merit Fellowship from University of Agricultural Science, Dharward in 1995.
- Life member, Entomological Society of India, Indian Agricultural Research Institute, New Delhi
- Represented in many industry platforms (ABLE –AG, NSAI, Crop Life India etc) as Regulatory, Plant Variety Protection, Agri-Biotechnology research expert.
- Member of Pest Management Council of Philippines.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- Research Papers / Scientific papers : 30 +
- News paper / Magazine articles : 100 + (The Hindu, Kisan World, Tribune, Spice India, local news papers, etc.)
- Co-authored two books on “Plant Variety Protection” in 2007 & 2009 published by DSR (NRCS), Hyderabad and ICAR New Delhi.
- Authored “R&D Stations catalogue” in 2012 covering the details of the stations and activities in Syngenta.
- Coauthored “ GM Green House Manual” containing the site work instructions in Syngenta.
- Authored “R&D Operation Manual” in 2013 containing 23 processes and 17 annexure across R&D function in Syngenta.
- Co-authored SOP manual on Health Safety Environment and Security (HSES) in 2015 for research farms and laboratories in Syngenta.
Dr. Gururaj Guddappa Kulkarni
Senior Scientist, Research Infrastructure and Operations
International Rice Research Institute
Los Baños, Laguna
+63 917 324 2883
+63 2 580 5600