With more than 15 years of experience in international development, media, and the public sector, Tony's area of professional convergence is the intersection of strategic and political communication, public opinion research, and governance reform. As head of Communication at IRRI, he managed a team of around 25 communication professionals and provided strategic leadership on the institute's science and corporate communication efforts.
Previously, Tony was governance specialist at the World Bank Institute in Washington, D.C., as core faculty in strategic communication of the Leadership for Development Program. At the Bank, he also led a number of research and learning initiatives for the Communication for Governance and Accountability Program.
He was director of a devolution monitoring unit in the Office of the Executive Secretary and chief media and communications officer, Office for Regional Development, Office of the President of the Philippines; news anchor and writer for ABS-CBN News; and consultant to the Global Forum for Media Development. He served a four-year term as elected chairperson of the Local Government Youth Council (Sangguniang Kabataan) and ex officio councilor of Barangay Loyola Heights, Quezon City.
Tony is adjunct professor of public policy at the University of the Philippines Los Baños and has published original research on governance reform, global media development, and political rhetoric. He holds advanced degrees in political communication from the University of Pennsylvania’s Annenberg School for Communication and public policy from Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government, which he attended as a Fulbright Scholar and Osmeña Fellow. He received an A.B. in Communication, cum laude, from the Ateneo de Manila University as an Aquino Scholar, and was named one of 1999's Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines by the Commission on Higher Education, Rotary Club of Makati, and RFM Foundation.
- Stakeholder analysis and engagement
- Political and strategic communication
- Public opinion research
- Analysis of public policy
- Public sector governance
- PhD (ABD) in Political Communication, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, USA (expected early 2014)
- MA in Political Communication, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania, USA (2006)
- MPP in Public Policy, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, USA (2004)
- AB Communication, cum laude, Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines (1999)
- Head of Communication, IRRI (Oct 2013-January 2016)
- Governance Specialist, Leadership Practice, World Bank Institute (2011-2013)
- Communication and Governance Consultant, Communication for Governance and Accountability Program (CommGAP), External Affairs Vice Presidency, World Bank (2007-2011)
- Teaching and Research Fellow, Annenberg School for Communication, University of Pennsylvania (2004-2007)
- Co-Chair of the Dean’s Ambassadors Program, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (2004)
- Course Assistant, Economic Analysis of Public Policy, John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University (2003)
- Chief Media and Communication Officer, Office for Regional Development, Office of the President of the Philippines (2002)
- Technical Assistant / Director III, Oversight Committee on Devolution, Office of the Executive Secretary, Office of the President of the Philippines (2001)
- News Anchor and Writer (2001), ABS-CBN News and Current Affairs
- Instructor, Ateneo de Manila University (1999-2002)
- Elected Chair, Sangguniang Kabataan (Local Government Youth Council) of Barangay Loyola Heights, Quezon City (1992-1996)
- Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines awardee, Commission on Higher Education and Rotary Club (1999)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (RECENT)
- World Bank Institute, Leadership Practice Training Guide: “Leading with Stories: A Transmedia Storytelling Resource Kit” (co-authored and co-edited) (Jan 2013)
- The World Bank, People, Politics, and Change: Building Communication Capacity for Governance Reform Technical Briefs on Communication for Good Governance; Lobbying for the Public Interest; Social Norms and Communication Influence; Coalition Building (Dec 2012)
- University of the Philippines, Plaridel Journal of Communication Journal Article: “The War Rhetoric of Extension: An Analogic Criticism of U.S. Presidential Rhetoric during the Iraq and Philippine-American Wars” (Feb 2011)
- The World Bank, Governance Reform Under Real-World Conditions Book Chapter: “Citizen Voice and the Public Sphere: Scoping Communication Challenges” (co-authored with Prof. Thomas Jacobson) (Jun 2008)
- Global Forum for Media Development/Internews Europe, Media Matters Book chapter: “A Monitoring & Evaluation Toolkit for Media Development: What do available indicators and integrative approaches have to offer?” (co-authored with Alexandra Tebay and Sarah Buzby) (Oct 2006)
- Harvard University, Asian American Policy Review, Volume XIII, 2004, pp. 61-71 Article: “A Case for Cooperation: Engaging the Philippine News Media during Times of Crisis” (Jun 2004)