Sunil Jhunjhunwala joined IRRI in 2010 as Controller. He led the Institute’s global financial function.
His role as a controller involved a wide range of activities, which include Institute-wide and individual grant budgeting and financial reporting, planning and forecasting, reviewing the adequacy of internal controls, developing various financial policies and standard operating procedures, fixed assets monitoring, management of accounts payable and accounts receivable, working capital management, and investments management.
Sunil was a Chartered Accountant (India), company secretary (India), and Certified Public Accountant (U.S.), and he has an MBA from National University of Singapore. He has over 15 years of experience with public accounting firms, the manufacturing sector, telecommunications sector, and international nonprofit organizations.
He began his career in 1997 with HDC Limited, one of the leading railway wagon manufacturers in India. He was based in the manufacturing plant (wherein about 1,400 workers were working). He was responsible for financial management and administrative activities of the plant.
In 2001, he joined Tata Communications Limited (listed on the NYSE and Indian stock exchange), a telecommunications company. At Tata Communications, he was involved in consolidation and reporting of the group financial statements to Indian regulators and the NYSE, implementation of the SAP (ERP system), and balance sheet restructuring.
In 2005, he moved to Tata Communications International Pte. Ltd. (TCIPL), Singapore, as Finance Controller – Asia Pacific. At TCIPL, he was involved in reporting financial statements and tax returns to government authorities in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Japan; supporting sales teams with complex business deals; managing working capital; implementing internal control processes; implementing Oracle (an ERP system); and reorganizing entities in the Asia-Pacific region. He also dealt with complex postmerger financial and tax-related issues of the Asia-Pacific entities that came to TCIPL as a result of the acquisition of U.S. and North America-based companies.
- Accounting, ERP
- Financial analysis and reporting
- Working capital management
- Internal controls
- Master of Business Administration (finance specialization), National University of Singapore (2010)
- Certified Public Accountant, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (2006)
- Company Secretary, Institute of Companies Secretary of India (1997)
- Chartered Accountant, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (1996)
- Controller, International Rice Research Institute, Philippines (2010–2014)
- Finance Controller–Asia Pacific, Tata Communications International Pte. Ltd., Singapore (2005-2010)
- Senior Officer–Finance and Accounts, Tata Communications Limited, India (2001-2005)
- Assistant Manager–Accounts and Administration, HDC Ltd., India (1997-2001)