Norm is the former IRRI Deputy Director General for Management Services and treasurer who provided strategic leadership to finance, human resources, information technology, and other services including food and housing, physical plant services, transport, procurement, schools, and travel services.
Management Services strives to provide efficient and effective support for IRRI's scientists. Norm developed and implemented appropriate policies to ensure IRRI services meet the evolving challenges, ensured strong service teams are in place that meet international performance standards, coordinated resource allocation in the context of change within the CGIAR and evolving donor priorities, managed the associated risks, and ensured adequate internal controls and compliance to policies.
He was a member of the IRRI Management Committee, an officer of the IRRI Board of Trustees and represented IRRI in various CGIAR activities.
Norm has an extensive background in financial planning, accounting, and other management services. He has also developed a strong interest in the not-for-profit sector.
- Financial planning
- Management services in not-for-profit sector
- Establishment of fund-raising entities
- Chartered Accountant, Ontario, Canada (1976)
- BA Economics, University of Western Ontario (1973)
- Deputy Director General for Management Services, IRRI (2007-2016)
- Deputy Director General, Corporate Services, Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR), Indonesia (1996-2007; Director 1994-1995)
- Comptroller, Ottawa Canada, International Development Research Centre (1988-1994)
- Associate Director Internal Audit, Ottawa Canada, International Development Research Centre (1986-1988)
- Regional Controller, New Delhi, International Development Research Centre (1984-1986)
- Manager, Internal Audit and Senior Operational Auditor, Ottawa, International Development Research Centre (1983-1984; 1980-1983)
- Operations Controller, Ottawa, Minto Construction Limited (1979-1980)
- Staff Auditor, Ottawa, Auditor General of Canada (1978-1979)
- Progressed from student to senior staff auditor, London Canada, Clarkson Godron and Company (now Ernst and Young internationally) (1973-1977)